VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I'm playing a 25i VOB file in VLC while using the "X" (area based) deinterlacer, and everything works as intended (in real time, framerate is doubled as I want it to be and the quality is relatively good). Now the problem is I want to export this result as a file but have failed multiple times doing so. Can someone please help me how to export the video with the same settings as I see in the player? Or if there is a different software that allows encoding with the same results? (I have tried AviSynth but got completely lost.) Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will probably have much better luck using an AVISynth deinterlacer, or a deinterlacer plugin for VirtualDub or your NLE. I say this because every time I have tried to export from VLC (and I've tried dozens of times), I have failed. Too bad, because VLC can open all sort of videos that nothing else will import or play, and it would be great to be able to export to an uncompressed video or use an high-quality intermediate like Cineform.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You will probably have much better luck using an AVISynth deinterlacer, or a deinterlacer plugin for VirtualDub or your NLE. I say this because every time I have tried to export from VLC (and I've tried dozens of times), I have failed. Too bad, because VLC can open all sort of videos that nothing else will import or play, and it would be great to be able to export to an uncompressed video or use an high-quality intermediate like Cineform.
    Thanks for your reply! I tried VirtualDub as well, but it didn't seem to work out for me. As for AviSynth I have been looking at QTGMC, but do not know how to use it (I'm kinda lost... having the file in VOB doesn't help either). If you could help me to deinterlace in AviSynth I would really appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just deinterlaced and saved an interlaced clip with VLC via Media -> Convert/Save... Though it's appears to be limited to single frame rate conversion. That is, 30i becomes 30p, not the more desirable 60p.

As for VirtualDub, be sure to use VirtualDub2 as it natively supports different containers and codecs. With the regular VirtualDub you have to download different source filters, codecs, output muxer's etc.

But once you've used QTGMC you won't use anything else for deinterlacing -- except when running a quick test because QTGMC is slow. The problem for someone just starting out is that AviSynth is a bit difficult to learn. And QTGMC is one of the hardest filter to get working (because it requires on several other third party filters). Once you have AviSynth setup and have learned how to use it it's very simple. Often as simple as typing:

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi")
    QTGMC()
    Then opening the script in an editor and encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just deinterlaced and saved an interlaced clip with VLC via Media -> Convert/Save... Though it's appears to be limited to single frame rate conversion. That is, 30i becomes 30p, not the more desirable 60p.

As for VirtualDub, be sure to use VirtualDub2 as it natively supports different containers and codecs. With the regular VirtualDub you have to download different source filters, codecs, output muxer's etc.

But once you've used QTGMC you won't use anything else for deinterlacing -- except when running a quick test because QTGMC is slow. The problem for someone just starting out is that AviSynth is a bit difficult to learn. And QTGMC is one of the hardest filter to get working (because it requires on several other third party filters). Once you have AviSynth setup and have learned how to use it it's very simple. Often as simple as typing:

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi")
    QTGMC()
    Then opening the script in an editor and encoding.
    Thank you for your detailed response, however this whole system confuses me a lot. You seem like you are knowledgeable in the subject; if you could make a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply QTGMC deinterlacing via AviSynth on VOB files I would forever be grateful to you. Maybe I can even pay you? I really need this but I am confused as to where to even start out. I'm bouncing between decade-old forum posts and obsolete libraries on shady sites. I hope you can help me out
    Last edited by Hamsword; 16th Oct 2018 at 09:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    not sure if you are aware of recompression is needed = affecting quality + for example slow settings in QTGMC is very slow (but best result). Mentioned it because not sure if you are aware of difference between decoding (in real time) and encoding with filters itself.

Edit:
    Too bad, because VLC can open all sort of videos that nothing else will import or play
    What players do you mean actually? Have you tried Potplayer or any MPC-BE or MPC-HC?

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 16th Oct 2018 at 09:25. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hamsword View Post
    if you could make a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply QTGMC deinterlacing via AviSynth on VOB files I would forever be grateful to you.
    Sorry, but that is way to much work. It has been covered here dozens of times -- use the search function.

The AvISynth wiki has basic "getting started" info:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/First_script
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started

It also has QTGMC, docs, and examples:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC
    Quote Quote