VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, what is the best way to transfer video8 tape to PC? Which video8 cam to search for, what outputs, do they have S-Video out?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aha, got it somewhere myself, seems there are digital 8 cams that playback both hi8 and video 8, and also have TBC/DNR, that way you can transfer via firewire same as with MiniDV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just one thing though, is it better to use backward compatible digital 8 cam and play video 8 tape to pc via firewire, or to use dedicated older video 8 cam and transfer via s-video? Depends on the quality of the source, if it needs hardware processing on the fly or not? Or one thing is mostly better than the other?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would use a Hi-8 or Digital8 player/camera to play back Video8 over S-Video. And most Video8 camcorders don't have S-Video out to my knowledge.

My old thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/381533-Video8-Player-vs-Digital8-Camcorder-for-capturing-Video8
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kodec View Post
    Aha, got it somewhere myself, seems there are digital 8 cams that playback both hi8 and video 8, and also have TBC/DNR, that way you can transfer via firewire same as with MiniDV.
    That's convenient and saves having to use a separate analog-digital converter. But you may not like the look of DV compression. And some cams (looking at YOU, Sony) render incorrect black level this way. Furthermore, if you have a newer computer you may run into finicky behavior over the IEEE1394 interface.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    That's convenient and saves having to use a separate analog-digital converter. But you may not like the look of DV compression. And some cams (looking at YOU, Sony) render incorrect black level this way. Furthermore, if you have a newer computer you may run into finicky behavior over the IEEE1394 interface.
    Ok, the work is finally here to be done. Actually I have Hi8 tapes. So, I have a Digital 8 camera that can also play Hi8 and also has both FW and S-Video outputs. The rule of thumb would be to use th S-Video out for Hi8 playback and transfer to PC?
    Last edited by kodec; 31st Jan 2019 at 15:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The rule of thumb would be to use th S-Video out for Hi8 playback and transfer to PC?
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just occured to me, what am I gonna do with audio transfer? The camcorder has no standard RCA white and red out jacks, only AV minijack (I don't even have that cable, no idea what it looks like), and it also has headphone stereo minijack.

The camera is Sony DCR-TRV120E
    Last edited by kodec; 31st Jan 2019 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are going to want to use the 3.5mm A/V jack over the 3.5mm headphone jack, as the A/V jack should be straight off the tape without any processing or amplification.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok got it, and now I know how the cable looks like for the A/V jack, thanks, found it already.

And the last thing; my usual workflow for the VHS is:

VCR - DVD Recorder pass - TBC - PC

Where should I put the this camera Hi8 source here? Also, leave something of the original workflow out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your camera has TBC and DNR options built in. I would try those out first, that's what I use on my Sony Digital8.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mean directly from the camera to PC?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Yes. Don't put equipment in the signal path unless it actually improves the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Yes. Don't put equipment in the signal path unless it actually improves the picture.
    Ok thanks, will try that first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +2 on what JVRaines said.

Straight wire is best unless other factors dictate additional components.

Scott
    Quote Quote