VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you using padding or cushioning devices with your keyboard/mouse?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you use padding to soften your wrists while using a keyboard and/or mouse?

I have a gel pad and a gel mousepad that I use at work. At home I have two bean bag type cushions I use with my two desktop computers. Both keyboards have one of those fold out extensions that help soften the keyboard a bit. They aren't gel or anything but its a little guard device so you can rest your wrists on them.

How about you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. No - ergonomics don't concern me.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    95% of online is mouse or mouse with left hand typing a few keys now and then. Have it for the main keyboard, but not even on the desk now since it's more useful to have the keyboard near the edge of the tray. Would certainly get the keyboard pad if typing for more than 5 or 10 minutes, but I type faster than most so rarely would it be needed. I'm just not normally writing books.

Will say the Belkin mouse pads/gel rests I got from OD are pretty good. Worth the extra over the Office Depot in house brand. Never needed one too much before, but the new chair's armrests are a little higher than the keyboard tray and made it necessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    couldn't vote on this one...

ergonomics are a fairly big concern for me, but I exercise proper posture at work when using my work station and have an ergo keyboard and mouse.

no need for pads or cushions.

ergo keyboard & mouse at home, but with a better desk chair combo = poor posture and total comfort but still no need for cushions.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had to hit "other"

I have tried to use the gell mouse pads, but three times I have squeezed the gell out of them (My ole lady must be pretty tough!)

I actually do things kind of in a weird way as far as monitor/keyboard/mouse orientation. I sit at the workarea at a right angle to the monitor that is about top of screen level with the top of my head and about 18 to 30 inches away depending on my posture and orientation. The keyboard is at about a 45 and on top of the work surface and I use the mouse at 90 degrees to the monitor.

This setup allows me to sit with the PC on my right while I face a couple of video monitors. I sit in a pretty good office chair and can swing to the right about 45 degrees if I am going to do much on the PC
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an adjustable chair with adjustable arm supports so I don't need any other support since my hands and wrists are at the perfect position for comfortable typing and mouse movement.

Without the chair, my neck would be a mess from having to hold my arms up in the air.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For better or worse, I slouch profusely. 8)

When I'm at a keyboard (and I type ALOT) I'm kicked back with my wrists resting on the edge of the tray and my arms in a natural extension from shoulder to desk edge.

The padding just gets in the way.

I don't know why I sit this way. My walking, running, standing posture is good, but when I sit - I slouch.

I began my professional career in the early 80s as a newspaper reporter, so I've always typed a bunch...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ergonmics concern me, but I don't think those gel pads help. They are fun to squeeze though... kind of like breasts. I prefer not to have a mouse mat. That's one of the things I love about optical mice, no need to have a mouse mat.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    ...I prefer not to have a mouse mat. That's one of the things I love about optical mice, no need to have a mouse mat.

Darryl
    hear hear!!!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote