VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My setup is a Dell T7400 Dual quad 2.66Ghz, 12gb high speed RAM, Nvidia FX570, Silicon image Raid Card with 4 x 7200 rpm WD Black series in Raid0 and Vista 64x I am trying to capture using intensity media express and it looks like it runs fine but after about 20 seconds it begions to drop frames and I cannot find out why I have also tryd adobe but where it says capture device the field is blank. I have tryd all sorts of things I was hoping that with some help from you guys I could get this thing up and running. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it capture 480i, 720p?

A four disk RAID 0 should be good for > 200 MB/s which should be enough.

Is the RAID drive separate from the OS drive?

Premiere won't see it. You capture with enclosed software then import the resulting file into Premiere.

From BM Intensity Brochure

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMintensityUC.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	2340
    Last edited by edDV; 17th Jun 2010 at 05:20.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also, be aware that disk throughput isn't the only thing required for video capture. Latency is an issue too. For example, a drive that alternates between writing 240MB/s for one second, then 0 MB/s for one second, has an average throughput of 120 MB/s. But that 0 MB/s every other second will kill your caps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Also, be aware that disk throughput isn't the only thing required for video capture. Latency is an issue too. For example, a drive that alternates between writing 240MB/s for one second, then 0 MB/s for one second, has an average throughput of 120 MB/s. But that 0 MB/s every other second will kill your caps.
    And RAID 0 controllers usually balance the multiple drives by writing half from opposite ends of the drives with the goal maintaining average performance over the entire length of the write.
    Quote Quote  
  5. When I do a disk speed test it gives me really slow results but results that should be sufficient in capturing. BTW I am trying to cap in 720p. I dont know a lot about this so I dont know where to go from here. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes the OS is apart from the Raid. For the OS I have a 160gb Scorpion 10k rpm.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jub2k3 View Post
    When I do a disk speed test it gives me really slow results but results that should be sufficient in capturing. BTW I am trying to cap in 720p. I dont know a lot about this so I dont know where to go from here. Thanks for the help.
    Uncompressed capture assumes a separate drive for OS.

If you separate the RAID from your OS, it should work.
    Quote Quote  
  8. For the OS I am using a WD scorpion 10K rpm and for the Capturing I am using four WD Black 7200rpm in Raid 0.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jub2k3 View Post
    When I do a disk speed test it gives me really slow results but results that should be sufficient in capturing.
    How low? You're capturing as uncompressed YUY2?

When you drop frames, is it one frame here and there? Or a bunch of frames at a time? What percentage of the frames are you dropping?

Note that 720p60 and 1080i30 (often called 1080i60 now) both require about the same throughput. That's why they were chosen as broadcast standards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jub2k3 View Post
    For the OS I am using a WD scorpion 10K rpm and for the Capturing I am using four WD Black 7200rpm in Raid 0.
    Something is wrong here. You need to run sustained transfer tests.
    Quote Quote  
  11. When I try to cap after about 15 to 20 seconds video slows down and the audio loses sync. During playback audio is off by half a second or so, and its dropping frames every 5-10 seconds.How do I run sustain cap test?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am guessing the raid controller sucks is there one you guys would recomend for the intensity preferably something reasonable in price I have spent a pretty penny for this and I am over my budget.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I'm not up to date on hardware RAID controllers.

There is a built in Disk monitor in Win7 Task Manager (see Resource Monitor). You should also track memory use.

The CPU shouldn't be doing much during uncompressed capture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ResourceM.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2345
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jun 2010 at 05:25.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I haven't used it but PC-Wizard, from the CPUID people, has some kind of disk benchmark:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. EUREEKA!!!!! I found the solution. As I stated in my previous post I thought it was the controller and I was correct I was sold a sata controller in the box of a Sata III . So that is all I needed. Thank you guys for all the tips and the help I really apreciate it.
    Quote Quote