VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. One issue I have is keeping a camcorder still hand held and level. So as a tryout I came up with this idea. Having a rubberised round ball type hot shoe spirit level what if I popped out the center and stuck it on to, in the case, The handle of my Panasonic HC-X1500 with double sided tape. may work or not as not having tried it out properly just yet

[Attachment 64567 - Click to enlarge]

on second thoughts maybe not,spending time looking at that and not the screen. Oh well back to the drawing board
    Last edited by realspeed; 2nd May 2022 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use the built-in electronic level?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are doing it handheld, this will invariably be changing all the time, unless you are using a really good stabilizer (e.g. steadicam, glidecam, etc). So I don't know how useful it would be in those circumstances.
    If using a stabilizer, a bubble level would probably help (as long as you knew for a fact that it was affixed and calibrated properly to match when it was truly level).

If you are using a tripod, all good pro tripods already have bubble levels built-in.

If, as DeJay mentioned, you have a cam with electronic level reference built-in, it makes sense to use it when you can, especially as that will more accurately reflect the image's levelling.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    Why not use the built-in electronic level?
    that is a very small line each side of the screen so small not worth even having really any good for side tilt no good for up/down level
    My Manfrotto befreelive has a level guage buit in on top of the also built in ball head.
    Last edited by realspeed; 29th Apr 2022 at 04:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. first attempt with my Panasonic HC-X1500 after getting over a heavy cold

used an AZDEN microphone on top of the camcorder, next time I will give it a go with the handle and the Microphone on top of that smeone elsewhere said they heard a hiss noise. OH if thinking about getting a microphone this one the SMX-30V has duel recording stereo or directional or anything inbetween can be dialed in. So no need of having to carry two about and keep swapping cost around £250 for the latest "V " version. One trick it has it can be powered by 2xAA batteries or by the camcorder battery. If the latter turn off the camcorder and it auto turns off the microphone as well to top it all I can be swivelled 30 degrees either way without moving the camcorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggE2F_DTO4&t=46s
    Last edited by realspeed; 2nd May 2022 at 02:44. Reason: upload video
    Quote Quote