VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Please indulge my long-winded story.

In general, I prefer to use portable versions of everything, whenever possible, In many cases, if a portable version is not available, I'll extract the installer.

Years ago, occasionally, I might install it, copy the install folder and back it up, do a system restore (or more recently, restore a Macrium backup) and use the backed up install folder. I locate this type of data on a separate partition. Makes my OS partition far more manageable, and minimizes it's size, which keeps partition images far smaller, which also means a fraction of the time when restoring them.

I've always used PotPlayerMini64.exe as the executable, because in that past, when I did install it, I found that PotPlayerMini64.ini was the file that was altered during preference customization (even tho PotPlayer64.exe existed in the same install folder), and I could transfer that PotPlayerMini64.ini file to an updated version.

Up until now, I haven't used the Potplayer portables, because I don't prefer that "Portableapps" type of setup if I can keep it simple. I never bothered to check out if I could just use the unzipped "PotPlayerPortable64\PotPlayerPortable64\App\PotPl ayer64 folder, probably because the portable setup only offers the PotPlayer64.exe executable, and I didn't want the bother of having to customize the associated PotPlayer64.ini all over again.

Today, I tried it, using my current PotPlayerMini64.ini file, renamed to PotPlayer64.ini. Works fine, as far as I can see.

So, I'm curious about a couple of things. Am I gonna run into problems doing it this way? Why are there these two executables (not including the XP one)? What does everyone else do about preferences when using the portable version?

Also, I've been using that same PotPlayerMini64.ini file for years now, with no discernible hiccups, but I'm wondering, has this file not been updated somewhere along the line? Or, will it be altered somehow whe nused with the updated setup?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have all the answers, but, you can extract the PotPlayer installer using 7-Zip, to create your own portable version. This way, you will see both exe's; I think "PotPlayer64.exe" is meant for the Korean/Asian market, as it has chat/social features meant for that market. When you actually install it, in other markets, you will only get "PotPlayerMini64.exe" in the install folder.
    If you do extract the installer, you will have to download OpenCodec separately, which you can also extract, and copy to the PotPlayer folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Gus.Ghanem View Post
    I don't have all the answers, but, you can extract the PotPlayer installer using 7-Zip, to create your own portable version. This way, you will see both exe's; I think "PotPlayer64.exe" is meant for the Korean/Asian market, as it has chat/social features meant for that market. When you actually install it, in other markets, you will only get "PotPlayerMini64.exe" in the install folder.
    If you do extract the installer, you will have to download OpenCodec separately, which you can also extract, and copy to the PotPlayer folder.
    Thanks Gus.Ghanem, that explains a lot.

How about the way I am using the old PotPlayerMini64.ini file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I never use "Store settings in ini file", so I guess it uses the registry for my settings (or sometimes/some settings are stored under the AppData folders). Note that settings could change from version to version, as new settings are added or changed in newer PotPlayer versions, your ini file may no longer be "valid" (I imagine most settings would carry over, but any new settings added to the player will remain at their defaults). I know, there are 100's of settings to go through on a clean install, which I don't mind. You should keep using PotPlayerMini64 with whatever ini file corresponds to it; the other exe is of no value.
    Quote Quote