VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdaigle View Post
    I have a similar issue ...
    I bought the same 'VGA to S-Video/RCA' cable (for use with my new HP-Mini laptop which does not have an S-Video output) ... this HP-Mini laptop has an NVidia video card (the NVidia ION) ... when I connect the laptop to the TV (using VGA to S-Video) I do get the video on my TV, but the computer screen appears three times on the TV screen (they are all condensed/squished; the ones on the right and left are cut off and the one in the middle is all there (but squished)); and it is black and white. I have checked (in the NVidia Control Panel) to make sure that the TV is listed (it is) and that the output is the requisite 60 Hertz. Any ideas?
    No ideas needed because it is VGA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

If you think HP is doing something non-standard, call them and ask. Let us know if they have a solution other than a USB2 to S-Video or DVI-D display device which will do what you want.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This Sewell PC to TV Converter (Sewell Part #: SW-23000 Mfg Part #: SW-23000) seems like it would certainly do the trick (http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv-adapter.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_...FVk65QodlkG-ZA) ... only $34.95 US (but the shipping to Canada is another $20).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewell PC to TV Converter.JPG
Views:	6519
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	735  

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everyone, I am new to the forums.
    I've read through this thread and another thread, where someone posted a link that redirected to this thread.
    (Confusing much)

Anywho, I just have a few questions.

So, I have a Acer Laptop that only has VGA output and my extremely old 32 inch Sony TV has only S-Video Output.
    Apparently I have to use one of those cables where theres a VGA on one end, and S-Video and some yellow cable on the other end.

Then I have to use a S-Video Cable.
    I'm fine with the sound coming from my laptop, so does that mean I don't have to use that yellow cable?

I'm an In The Groove player. (similar to Dance Dance Revolution)

even if the resolution from my laptop to TV is condensed to 640x480, will I at least be able to clearly see the arrows moving ?

I need answers quick, Thanks. (:

-inthegroove-freak
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi inthegroove-freak,
    In my experience (yes, I tried it) the cable with a VGA connection on one end and S-Video/RCA cables on the other end does not work.
    I believe that Sewell PC to TV Converter (Sewell Part #: SW-23000 Mfg Part #: SW-23000) will do the trick for you (http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv-ada...FVk65QodlkG-ZA - $34.95 US plus shipping).
    I have tried it with my HP laptop (using the VGA output) and my 6-year-old Sony TV (of note, with respect to the statement that your ‘Sony TV has only S-Video Output’ … did you perhaps mean S-Video INPUT?).
    At any rate, the Sewell PC to TV converter works well using either an S-Video cable to connect to the TV’s S-Video INPUT (the S-Video cable does not come with it and so has to be purchased separately) or (yellow/white/red) RCA cables to connect to the TV’s RCA inputs (which comes with it).
    If your TV has the RCA audio inputs (the red and white ones), you can get the sound from your TV … if not, you can just leave the ‘3.5mm Stereo Audio (from PC)’ cable disconnected and the sound will come from your laptop … and you can use either the (yellow) RCA cable or an S-Video cable to connect the video to the TV.
    The picture on the TV does get a little fuzzy as it gets bigger but I do believe you will still be able to see (well) the arrows moving in your Dance Dance Revolution.
    Good luck. Hope this helps.
    - sdaigle
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey guys,

Been reading this thread since I'm facing a similar if not identical problem as one of the posters here. Basically I'm trying to record video from my Xbox 360. I run a VGA setup on my Samsung LCD. Today I went out and bought a 2-port VGA splitter and the VGA to S-Video cable the OP posted. My setup is as follows:

[Xbox 360]
    |
    |
    VGA
    |
    |
    [2-port VGA splitter] ----VGA to S-video cable----> [Dazzle Capture Card]
    |
    |
    VGA
    |
    |
    [Samsung LCD]

So the output comes out fine on my Samsung LCD, but when I try to capture, all that shows up from my capture card is mostly black with random streaking white lines.

Now I've come to believe from what I've read that the VGA to S-video cable isn't working due to the fact that there is no S-video feed coming from that extra pin as some posters have mentioned.

So if I'm not mistaken the solution is to purchase a VGA to S-video converter box and put it in my setup as follows:

[2-port VGA splitter] ---VGA cable----> [VGA to S-video converter box] ----S-video cable----> [Dazzle Capture Card]

Just wanna make sure I've got it all down before I throw down some cash. I plan on capturing at standard 640x480 resolution. Does this setup look like it will work?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Flynn; 25th May 2010 at 09:04. Reason: Not complete
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe. Be sure you have return rights on the VGA to S-Video conversion box.

Expect poor quality over S-Video.

Some converters only work from specific VGA resolutions. Some require 640x480 VGA. Best way to sort this out is to read the user reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Maybe. Be sure you have return rights on the VGA to S-Video conversion box.

Expect poor quality over S-Video.

Some converters only work from specific VGA resolutions. Some require 640x480 VGA. Best way to sort this out is to read the user reviews.
    Thanks for your reply. I have to ask when you say 'poor quality' what do you mean exactly? I don't expect my captured video to rival the output of my LCD's. I'm expecting standard definition quality output at decent resolution. Not expecting super quality.

And as far as the converter box is concerned, I'm getting quite a good deal for it and the reviews I've read have been mostly positive. But I'll definitely check for return rights.

Also, I'm thinking this is my best shot at capturing any footage from my Xbox (or any VGA source) at all. I'm not prepared to throw down $300 bucks for an Epiphan VGA capture card so I guess this is the most viable solution, unless there is another possible solution?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I have to ask when you say 'poor quality' what do you mean exactly?
    Something like the image I posted earlier in this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/283861-VGA-to-S-video?p=1756748&viewfull=1#post1756748
    OK for SD video or graphics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    S-Video ~ 640x480 luma with ~80x480 chroma (0.5 MHz NTSC color component bandwidth).

These cheap converters won't compare in quality to say a DVD player or cable box S-Video.

High quality analog S-Video source still has constrained color bandwidth and NTSC line structure but horizontal resolution is limited only by channel bandwidth. For example, a good studio camera can reach out to 800 lines of horizontal resolution. That would be roughly equivalent to 960x480.
    Last edited by edDV; 25th May 2010 at 12:33.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a fujitsu amilo li3710 Laptop that only has VGA output and my extremely old 32 inch Sony TV has only RCA input.
    Apparently I have to use one of those cables where theres a VGA on one end, and RCA.

when i connect VGA-s-video-RCA cable to my Laptop and my Tv it did'nt work

please help me
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lukbeson View Post
    I have a fujitsu amilo li3710 Laptop that only has VGA output and my extremely old 32 inch Sony TV has only RCA input.
    Apparently I have to use one of those cables where theres a VGA on one end, and RCA.

please help me
    Those cables do not convert VGA to composite. They are for use with specific devices which already have a composite signal on one of the VGA pins. As far as I know there are no computers or graphics cards which have this. You need to buy a scan converter. That's an active device that converts VGA to composite or s-video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by lukbeson View Post

please help me
    Those cables do not convert VGA to composite. They are for use with specific devices which already have a composite signal on one of the VGA pins. As far as I know there are no computers or graphics cards which have this. You need to buy a scan converter. That's an active device that converts VGA to composite or s-video.

yes but my laptop have this function and when i connect to tv i have seen something but not a very good picture
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lukbeson View Post
    yes but my laptop have this function and when i connect to tv i have seen something but not a very good picture
    Are you sure your laptop provides composite video out at the VGA port? That would be very unusual. Laptops with TV out usually put it on a yellow RCA connector or an s-video connector (usually a 7 or 8 pin DIN connector where the 4 s-video pins carry s-video and the other pins carry component video).

What do you mean by "i have seen something but not a very good picture"? Does the TV sync giving a stable picture but the colors are wrong or noisy or blurry? Or is the TV not syncing, giving a rolling distorted picture?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many laptops also have an optional docking station. Composite and/or S-Video may be supported on the docking station. Check your manual or call the manufacturer. I've never heard of a laptop that carries composite on the VGA connector.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would using a PC video card with an S-video output provide a better picture than using a VGA to S-video converter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
    Would using a PC video card with an S-video output provide a better picture than using a VGA to S-video converter?
    Maybe but not likely.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
    Usually. There will be less A/D conversions and scaling. Here's a post with some VGA to composite/s-video images:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/283861-VGA-to-S-video?p=1756748&viewfull=1#post1756748
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Would using a PC video card with an S-video output provide a better picture than using a VGA to S-video converter?"

If the vga convertor is cheap in quality then the cards output is always superior.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by speedy5044 View Post
    would HDMI to HDMI work?
    Work for what?

HDMI out to HDTV HDMI input will work for computer display or DVD playback.

Audio may or may not be on the computer HDMI output. Check the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi,
    I have a Gateway laptop, with VGA out, and I am using a VGA to S-video cable (no special box, just straight up cable connection). I can see flickering images on my TV that sort of match my laptop screen, but the horizontal sync is off. I can see my mouse, but it looks like there are 2 images that are moving. I have an old Panasonic TV. Any ideas how I can get this to work? I tried every single resolution setting native to my built-in graphics card, and the lowest gave the "best" looking picture (still no horizontal sync). I know how to program, so is there any way I can write my own driver in the C programming language that outputs the correct signal so that I can see something? Any other ideas appreciated also...

Jojo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jojomcbean View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Gateway laptop, with VGA out, and I am using a VGA to S-video cable (no special box, just straight up cable connection). I can see flickering images on my TV that sort of match my laptop screen, but the horizontal sync is off. I can see my mouse, but it looks like there are 2 images that are moving. I have an old Panasonic TV. Any ideas how I can get this to work? I tried every single resolution setting native to my built-in graphics card, and the lowest gave the "best" looking picture (still no horizontal sync). I know how to program, so is there any way I can write my own driver in the C programming language that outputs the correct signal so that I can see something? Any other ideas appreciated also...

Jojo
    It won't work. Your TV is not equipped to receive VGA.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jojomcbean View Post
    I am using a VGA to S-video cable
    Once again... Those cables are designed for specific devices that supply s-video on a D15 shell. They do not convert VGA to s-video. The device must already output s-video.

http://pinoutsguide.com/Video/mini_vga_connector_pinout.shtml

You need an active converter to go from VGA to s-video or composite. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-PC-VGA-RCA-Converter/dp/B004INDO30/

Expect low quality. Something like:

Most graphics chips are capable of putting out interlaced video though I don't know if they can still scan as low as NTSC or PAL frame rates (they used to be able to). But you'll still have a problem that the VGA output is RGB and s-video expects luma and multiplexed chroma. So you would still need hardware to convert RGB to luma/chroma. Or you could just hoop up the green channel (which also includes the sync signals) to s-video luma and get a greyscale image -- although only of the green channel.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Mar 2012 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote