VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a JVC 7700 Multisystem VCR, a S-VHS/Video/AudioL+R signal to USB dongle.
    I connected everything correctly and used VLC to visualize the signal.
    I only get black and white video.
    Connecting this same VCR to an old TV using S-Vhs + Audio and playing that same video I get the original colored version.
    I suppose this video is using a Secam signal but it doesn't matter because switching to another one that is marked PAL gets me a black and white picture too.
    My windows version is 11.
    I could use some recommendations to solve the problem.
    Is it the VLC software? the settings?
    There is no much I can do on the VCR part, it is pretty straight forward. It plays everything right on the TV from the start.

Thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi!

May be you hve to set in VLC th type of video signal (PAL or SECAM).

When you choose to watch from a capture device you will see a window (the one where you select your capture device) and then click on the "Adavanced options". A new window will open then thick the bow where it is written "properties of the peripheral" and also the second box where it is said "properties of the tuner" and ten select the type of signal you think yu have.

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried. I select SECAM_L because it is a 25fps signal and most probably it came from a French handicam.
    Yet the picture stays black and white.
    When I go back to the Advanced Options window the Video Standard always rolls back to Default.
    I don’t actually know if it has registered the setting I chose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it is possible that the old tv is also multi-system which then accepts the signal.

VLC might be a capture tool but it might not be the one for you. Your usb device will come with software and that is the first thing to try. If that does not support Secam - your assumption of the standard is reasonable - (not all do) then try AmarecTV or VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    This is most likely another MESECAM case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried other software. All yield the same results. What if it is the adapter? How can i check that? It's the cheaper ones from AE. I can't find any specs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you tried the composite input of the capture device as well? With this VCR as source, you'd need to use a SCART adapter and also set the SCART output to VIDEO per the manual.

It would be easier to test with a different known PAL source with a composite RCA (phono) output, like a DVD player.

Do the VCR generated menus display in black & white too?
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I do not think that is the OP's vcr.

I am having problems finding a JVC 770 vcr so for the purpose of clarily I suggest you provide the full Model No.

But one other thing. Not all usb devices support SECAM(very few if any do) - my Hauppauge USB-Live2 does not so I also suggest you look in more appropriate places such as Amazon for a dongle that does.

Also, which may be your saviour, the vcr might do an internal conversion for output. The manual will certainly help to determine that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ I do not think that is the OP's vcr.

I am having problems finding a JVC 770 vcr so for the purpose of clarily I suggest you provide the full Model No.

But one other thing. Not all usb devices support SECAM(very few if any do) - my Hauppauge USB-Live2 does not so I also suggest you look in more appropriate places such as Amazon for a dongle that does.

Also, which may be your saviour, the vcr might do an internal conversion for output. The manual will certainly help to determine that.
    The VCR is a JVC HR-S7700EU.
    I found the USB interface's specs. It only supports NTSC and PAL. That could explain the problem but not entirely because first I am not sure my source is in SECAM and second 2 other original videotapes, one NTSC and one PAL also shows up in black and white.

Can you elaborate about that conversion you referred to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That vcr is NOT multi-standard - it is PAL with, probably, NTSC playback (PAL 60). So, I guess, that first tape that played in colour on the older tv, was not SECAM.

If the original camcorder was SECAM (for France) and you used a different vcr to transfer to VHS (or it was done for you) it could, as suggested above, actually be a MESECAM tape which needs a specially adapted vcr for playback. The output then will be PAL.

B&W suggests a fault on the s-video circuitry. So for the PAL tape you should try a scart or composite cables.

Even then it is unlikely that the usb supports PAL60. My USB-Live2 does support PAL60.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    That vcr is NOT multi-standard - it is PAL with, probably, NTSC playback (PAL 60).
    [...]
    MESECAM tape which needs a specially adapted vcr for playback.
    There is a menu setting for this VCR to switch between PAL/NTSC and MESECAM. The NTSC playback is indeed PAL60, per this thread (linked post and then the bottom of the page).
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TBH I did not read the full manual (what page is this shown ?). The specs page only lists PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you get color when connecting to TV it would suggest there isn't anything wrong with the VCR or VCR settings, and that the issue is on the capture side.

You can see MESECAM mentioned on this page. TBC/DNR does not work for MESECAM playback (but it does for NTSC playback.)

The VCR Menu may display in color or not at all regardless of settings, it outputs color on the Y channel no matter if it's composite or not on newer JVCs which is why you get this dot pattern in the background. It's also a slightly non-standard signal that not all capture cards are able to display correctly.

Are you using the SCART output or S-Video plug? The SCART ones have to be switched manually between S-Video and composite. Are you able to test the S-Video input on the capture card with something else than the VCR? And did you try with composite in on the capture device? Maybe the color pin on the S-Video input on the capture card is simply broken or there is some driver issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC The OP stated he got colour from the first tape (which he thought was SECAM) on an older tv but that same tape, or any other, whether PAL or NTSC, did not display correctly tv or not.

As in that other thread, which we both contributed to, we begged to differ as to how a MESECAM tape should display in colour on a capture device. Of course in that thread the OP was using a much better device than the cheap one used here. One that supported, at RF level, SECAM but even there the capture device, with the correct input/output setting on the vcr, also displayed colour with PAL set on the device. But he also had a different vcr which had RGB output.

But I do concur. He should try a scart lead + composite rather than s-video. Even that cheapo device should display a PAL tape in colour with the correct vcr and device settings.

The final 'unknown; is Windows 11. Would that require updated drivers ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have 1 French SECAM-L tape......was never able to capture it. I had to find the straight PAL version of the tape/concert.
    Quote Quote