VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Bad Eyes so I have a 72 Inch DLP Projection TV.

I want to get Rid of it because I have to Buy a Bulb Once A Year for it.

If I Buy a Flat LED TV that is 72 Inches will the LEDs Burnout Fast in a TV that Size?

Or what is a good TV for this Size be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Backlit TV's LEDs last many years. You need not worry about them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. TV LEDs last a LONG time. I got one of the original Smasung LED (for backlight) LCD TVs back in 2009 and I watch at least an hour every evening. It is still exactly the same picture as it was when it was new. Absolutely fantastic technology, and the local contrast feature (by turning individual LEDs off when total black is needed) works amazingly well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't worry about your leds inside, they can work usually for years, but remember that it is not the same durability as crt tvs. You need to check how you see the image from different angles, not all models ensure good visibility.

You also must choose OS you want.

Samsung has the best hardware, but OS is Tizen, which supports only H.264 and H.265.

All other top manufacturers are using Android.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for getting back to Me.

And I got the DLP Projection TV because the Picture and Colors are so so Great.

Whoever came over would Ask Me if I had HD and I did not.

This is how good the Picture is.

Do the Flat LCD TVs Look like this or are they not there yet?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think no, even in top and extremally expensive screens. Good projector always will be better than monitor.
    But in todays tvs image is really very, very good. Just go to some market with electronics and test all tvs they have, you clearly will see difference between models.

If you will ask, I will suggest you some Samsung, IMO the best screens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I disagree. If money is no object the Sony videowall LEDs are better than every projector I've ever seen (incl. 4k, 8k, etc.).

But one needs to compare apples to apples.
    For a given size, and a given brightness, you will get a much better image from a 4k HDR with OLED/QuantumDot/etc from Sony, Samsung, LG, maybe Sharp than you would for any kind of projector of similar price.
    You can get more size, brightness from a projector, but you won't get it for as cheap a price.
    I use projectors everyday and love them, but unless you are going for size/distance, it almost always makes more sense to go with a directview tv.

DLP also always had issues with rainbowing from the color wheel. Maybe you cannot see it, but it is visibly bothersome to many of us.

And contrast is something else to consider: go for a device that has local (or pixel-by-pixel) light source with dimming. This improves the contrast a lot, by providing richer blacks.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never viewed a projector i could live with. to me they all were soft and sub-par in color rendition. oled with it's good black level is what i'd buy these days, if i didn't have kids that played vid games and left the tv on pause often. oled can suffer from image burn in. lol i'd really like plasma to make come back.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I have Bad Eyes so I have a 72 Inch DLP Projection TV.

I want to get Rid of it because I have to Buy a Bulb Once A Year for it.

If I Buy a Flat LED TV that is 72 Inches will the LEDs Burnout Fast in a TV that Size?

Or what is a good TV for this Size be?
    These are all highly rated by rtings.com:

Samsung QN75Q80TAFXZA
    Vizio P75QX-H1
    SONY XBR75X950H
    Sony XBR75X900H -A cheaper option than the Sony X950H that doesn't get as bright but it has an ATSC 3.0 tuner
    Hisense 75H8G
    TCL 75S535

See https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/70-75-77-inch for reviews or links to reviews.

Regarding operating systems:

Sony uses Android TV for its current models. Sony's 2021 models will use its replacement, Google TV.

Hisense's latest models use Android TV as their OS. Some older models use Roku as their OS.

TCL uses either Roku or Android TV as its OS.

Vizio uses a proprietary OS, "SmartCast".

Samsung uses a proprietary OS, "Tizen".

LG still uses a proprietary OS, "Web OS".

Panasonic, which rumor has it may enter the US market again, uses its own proprietary OS, "My Home Screen".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am Looking at this TV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBZD2pBlnI

It Says it has a 60 Hz Refresh Rate Rate.
    But should I not Look for 120 Hz Refresh Rate Rate?

And what is the Contrast Ratio for this TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's actually a good Youtube review. Most are wastes of time. Good find.

The reflections from that sett would be a deal-breaker for me.
    Also not fond of poor motion enhancement. It's 2021. My Sony set from 2008 looks better.

You need to understand that this number is meaningless, it is easily gamed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am Looking at this TV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBZD2pBlnI

It Says it has a 60 Hz Refresh Rate Rate.
    But should I not Look for 120 Hz Refresh Rate Rate?

A TV with a 120 Hz refresh rate is preferred for video games but a 75-inch TV with a 120 Hz refresh would be significantly more expensive.

The review at rtings.com says:
    Native Contrast 4511 : 1
    Contrast with local dimming 4995 : 1
    Quote Quote  
  13. One place where 120 Hz display (not input) is important is with film judder. 24p (just about every movie and non-live TV show) viewed at 120 Hz with 5:5 frame repeats is smoother than 60 Hz with 3:2 repeats.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You really should to go to a retail store that has several 72" or larger screens on display in a slightly darkened showcase, like some of the larger Best Buys. Direct view HDTVs look very different from DLP projection: you're gonna need to compare up close and in person which would suit your eyes best.

Other factors to consider are budget, what sort of material you primarily watch and how attentive you are to using the TV. If you view a lot of standard definition DVDs or TV sub-channels that aren't full-blown current HDTV quality, you might not like the increased visibility of flaws on direct view vs DLP which tends to smooth them over. OLED is the best bet for the widest range of input quality variations between channels and dvds, but its still very pricey at larger sizes. As mentioned above by others, OLED can be problematic if you have a tendency to doze off in front of news channels with fixed graphics in the picture that never move: these can burn in over time and cause ghosting. For that type of more casual use, standard "LED" may be preferable: the ultimate PQ isn't quite as good as OLED, but the better standard LED models are excellent and avoid concerns about falling asleep or playing video games on it.

BTW, don't expect to get quite the same picture clarity you'll see in the store when you actually watch the new TV in your home. Stores are playing specialized Ultra-HDTV demo videos to show the maximum performance available with each screen, but in normal use no dvd, off-air, cable or satellite channel can match that. A UHD BluRay player would be as close as you can get to the in-store demo quality.
    Last edited by orsetto; 31st Mar 2021 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    One place where 120 Hz display (not input) is important is with film judder. 24p (just about every movie and non-live TV show) viewed at 120 Hz with 5:5 frame repeats is smoother than 60 Hz with 3:2 repeats.
    True but it comes at a price. Below are the 75-inch LED TVs that I suggested and their prices.

120Hz Panels
    Samsung QN75Q80TAFXZA $2,699.99
    Vizio P75QX-H1 $1,999.99
    Sony XBR75X950H $2,599.99
    Sony XBR75X900H $1,999.99

60Hz Panels
    Hisense 75H8G $1,249.99
    TCL 75S535 $974.99

[Edit] The TCL 75R635 (not on my list) has a 120Hz panel but is closer to the budget models at $1,399.99
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Mar 2021 at 16:09.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just found this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKswJh423co

Does anybody know if the Contrast Ratio is good on this TV?

And what would be a good LEF HD TV for Me to Look at?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The review for the Sony XBR75X900H at rtings.com rates the contrast as excellent but notes the contrast can vary somewhat between individual sets.

Native Contrast
    4267 : 1
    Contrast with local dimming
    4786 : 1

The current crop of HD LED TVs are all under 50 inches, which is considerably smaller than what you asked for.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Mar 2021 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. This is a good forum, but you'll get literally 100 times more information about this particular subject over at the

AVSForum

They specialize in discussion of specific A/V equipment.

That link above will take you directly to the discussions about flat panel displays. Enter your model number into the site search box and be prepared to do a lot of reading. There is quite a bit of noise you have to wade through, but the information you are looking for is usually there.
    Quote Quote