VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to take out subtitles and then put them back in the DVD unchanged (I'm demuxing because I'm changing other parts of the DVD). The problem I'm having is that the color of the subtitles keeps automatically changing from white to red. How do I extract and save subtitles without changing their color?

I know the basics with DVDFab, PGCdemux, SubtitleCreator, and MuxMan, but any other software recommendattions are welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Forget about getting them back into the DVD with the same colors. Just change the colors to whatever you like using either DVDSubEdit or (my preference) PGCEdit.

You can also save out the original color palette in PGCEdit and then import that same palette into your new DVD. That way you'll get everything back exactly the same as originally.
    Last edited by manono; 10th Jan 2016 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can also save out the original color palette in PGCEdit and then import that same palette into your new DVD. That way you'll get everything back exactly the same as originally.
    How can I do that using PGCEdit?

My goal is to "clone" exactly the same subtitle's color from one dvd to another one. Its because some dvd's have very pleasant / readable subtitle's colors. For me the golden / yellow or some gray/white colors are very nice to read.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Open the original DVD in PGCEdit. Double-click on the video whose subtitle colors you want to keep for the new DVD. In the new PGC Editor screen that opens you'll see the CLUT and the buttons you'll need. Export from the original DVD. Import into the new DVD. You can probably also do the Copy and Paste, but I do it as I described.

I always prefer to choose my own colors. In the picture below, in that top row I have a not-quite-black outline color, a light grey main color, and a dark grey anti-alias color.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! This was helpful for me, although for whatever reason, importing the exported CLUT made no change to the current one. I ended up just editing the color manually.

I'm more interested in something else, however. Is it possible to get fancy and create a custom CLUT with a gradation of grays to make the subtitles look really nice?
    Quote Quote  
  6. ... although for whatever reason, importing the exported CLUT made no change to the current one.
    I've also found some exported ones don't import properly. You'll notice that there are several formats you can use. Experiment until you find the one that works. Let me check for one of mine...

The ones with the CLB extension is how I export and later import.

Is it possible to get fancy and create a custom CLUT with a gradation of grays to make the subtitles look really nice?
    Yes and no. First, DVD allows for only four colors and one is always the transparent background color. That leave three - the main color, the outline color and the anti-alias color. You can see in the top row of the CLUT I included earlier that I use a light grey main color, a dark grey anti-alias color and then a black outline color. Unless your retail DVD used an anti-alias color (most don't), the only way to get one is to redo the subs (OCR to text-based subs followed by creating new subs). I use SSA subs for creation of SST subs using MaestroSBT. Then you reauthor the DVD with new subs (Muxman).
    Quote Quote