VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im trying to burn a dvd and the file wanted the dvd is 4.67GB in size, the dvd Im using is 4.3GB in size. Is it possible to reduce the file size to burn onto the dvd and keep the quality? If so how? Thanks in advance for any help

FYI - I'm using Windows Media Player
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want a DVD that will play in all dvd players?

What is the format of the file? If it's DVD compliant you may be able to transcode it in something like DVD shrink,
    otherwise it will need a complete re-encode and authoring, try AVStoDVD

You're using WMP for what ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    first is the "file" actually a dvd? does it have audio_ts and video_ts folders? if yes, the only way to burn it to dvd and not re-encode is to burn it to a dual layer dvd. if no, then run it through avs2dvd and have it create a proper dvd structure and size.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if yes, the only way to burn it to dvd and not re-encode is to burn it to a dual layer dvd.
    Wrong. As davexnet wrote, you can use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the DVD without re-encoding. It is true, however, that the quality is degraded, especially if you need to shrink much. But with some luck, it may be sufficient to compress some bonus video and the menus, and/or remove some useless audio tracks, to let the video of the main movie unchanged.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if yes, the only way to burn it to dvd and not re-encode is to burn it to a dual layer dvd.
    Wrong.
    He's using 're-encode' to also include 'transcode'. And he's right. In addition, we have no confirmation it's even a DVD. It could be something else in which case davexnet's suggestion of AvsToDVD is a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't mention that the file is DVD file format or video format. If it's a DVD file, currently most of the DVD rippers are able to do the DVD file downsize stuff. As for the video file, you need to resort to some video compressor software. You can have a check on the below top compressors recommended:

https://bit.ly/2x9b70v
    https://bit.ly/2RwpQvM
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've been using Handbrake to compress my videos, I don't see any noticeable change in quality with it.
    Quote Quote