VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I have a problem with the Bluray of Blade Runner (region 1, 5 disc collector's).
    When I try to play it in MPC with DVDFab passkey, or AnyDVD, it doesn't go well. (I tested the Final cut disc, and the disc which has the other cuts)
    the picture goes slow, the sound is muted occasionally etc. (i think it has to do with the audio decoding most).

When I play it with another software, eg. TotalMedia Theater all is OK!

the reason I want to play it with MPC, is that I want to put external subtitles.

Now, i don't have any problem with other BLuray discs when I use MPC + DVDfabpasskey.

Is there any specific problem with Blade Runner?

By the way, I don't know if it's helpful but I noticed this:
    In other Blurays with this configuration (MPC + region removal software), I can see the ffdshow in the tray.
    With Blade Runner I don't see it.
    Maybe because the others have DTS-HD MA?
    (Blade runner has Dolby TrueHD, but even with plain DolbyDigital track, it has problems. It doesn't play it at all)
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Blade Runner Blu Ray is region free (Region A and B) so I doubt that is the problem http://bluray.liesinc.net/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try mpchc.

If you are already using it you can try disable the built in vc1 or mpeg2 decoder, view->options and internal filters, unselect mpeg2-video/mpeg2-video (dxva) and vc1-decoder. Some blu-ray are in vc1 or mpeg2 instead of h264. And let ffdshow decode it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @dvd3500
    oh yes, sorry.
    but I have to use a software like these (DVDfab Passkey etc.), to play with MPC. It can't play otherwise.

I just tested another Bluray disc with DolbyTrueHD (Dark Knight) and has the same problems.
    So I think it's the audio decoding.
    Why doesn't it use ffdshow? (since it doesn't appear in the tray, I assume it doesn't use it).
    i don't know what to do to use it..

@Baldrick
    yes, this is what i'm using

wait.. maybe you're right. i'll try that .
    the 2 BLuray discs I tested are in VC1 (Blade Runner, and Dark knight).
    The others that don't have a problem are in MPEG-4 AVC
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is what i got:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mpc.png
Views:	175
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	14651

VC1 is deselected. So, I should deselect H264 too?

edit: I tried deselecting it, and it didn't do anything. the same problems.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I saw in the ffdshow audio configuration, in the codecs, TrueHD was disabled (it says int he details: Dolby TrueHD decoder. It works only if AC3 decodingis enabled). I enabled it and now I come up with this:

-when I play the disc, ffdshow appears in the tray
    -while it didn't play the dolby digital track as I had the configuration in the starts, now it plays it, but with constant mutings of the sound.
    -the DolbyTrueHD channel sounds even worse, with noise etc..

2nd testing:
    in the above, I had AC3 decoded by liba52, and TRueHD by libavcodec.

Now, i switched AC3 to libavcodec too, and the Dolby Digital channel plays fine!
    But still bad for the DolbyTRueHD channel.
    the options for that in the ffdshow configuration are either disabled or libavcodec, and i've used both..
    Any other ideas?
    Last edited by thinredline; 8th Nov 2012 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, problem solved.
    I use the latest version of AC3filter AND checked the VC1 filter in MPC. (although I'm not so sure if i get the same quality image as before with TotalMedia Theater, or if it's a tiny bit worse)
    Quote Quote