VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi when i make a DVD in DVD Styler..the menus don't appear when i try it in a stand along DVD player.

For example i made a DVD with 2 feature films on it. When put in a DVD player no menu comes up and the play button on the DVD player just starts the first feature.
    Similary when i made a DVD with just one film.

do i need a specifit DVD setting...for the Default Title Post Command.
    Call last Menu
    Call Root menu and play next title.

I'm sure i had it on the default (call last Menu)

or is there anything else that could be affect it it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not familiar with that program but you appear to have set the Default, or 'First Play', title to the film rather than the menu.

The above commands relate to when the film ends i.e 'Post' = after whereas 'Pre' = before.

But with most authoring programs the menu should play first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I jst realised they were post title commands. I just tried again this time changing the First Play Command to "jump vmgm menu 1".

But still doesnt show menus in a dvd player. There is a setting ticked by default that is "creat emply vmgm titlesets menus if it doesnt exist"
    Do you think this is the problem that somehow having this ticked is causing a dvd player to ignore thye menus??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But all commands are there for those that understand how to use them. A simple 'jump' would not necessarily work because other registers etc. need to be set.

In your scenario the 'empty' menu should not apply since you have created one.

I can not but help thinking you have made other adjustments. The program, as I see it, can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. In it's most simple you should just have to create a menu and the links in that to the movie etc. In this way you should not even have to get involved with scripting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So just for personal satisfaction I installed this.

Simple menus that has 'Play All' and 'Select Title'. Only one title for this test. The only thing I changed was the encoding properties of the video. All commands were left as they were - I noticed a 'Post Command' after the title to return to previous menu.

Have not actually burnt but just tested in vlc which should act the same. And when invoked the menus come up and the title plays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I might have an explanation for the behaviour that you experienced.

As I said above, the only alteration I made was to change the encoding of the title. Now I knew that the title was already dvd-compliant so I figured I could leave the encoding property at the default 'copy'

When I compiled the dvd - just to a folder not as a burn - the process 'failed' but some files were written to the folder. Now if the title was burnt/copied there and a blank screen as a menu and no ifo's to control the process the player might still respond to the 'play' button.

But the above method - explicitly choosing the encode properties - should work for you.
    Quote Quote