VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. So if you were to use QTGMC, apply smdegrain, deblock, and reinterlace TFF, it might look like this

Code:
    AVISource()
    ConvertToYV24(interlaced=true)
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="faster")
    Crop(43, 3, -38, -4)
    Spline64Resize(640,480)
    Deblock()
    SMDegrain()
    Trim(1015, 1453)

# reinterlace TFF
    AssumeTFF().SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4, 0, 3).Weave()
    This is upscaled to 4:4:4, like the encoded samples you posted, even though the source was 4:2:2
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What is your avi ? The one you uploaded is 4:2:2, but cropping by 43 left, top 3 suggest you have RGB or 4:4:4 source . Or maybe your source filter is not deocding correctly ? Also there are interlaced cropping restrictions for 4:2:2
    The source is 4:2:2. AvsPmod detects it as YV24, so thats probably why it's letting me crop by 43. If you're wondering why I'm cropping so far, it's because this is an old tape I recorded a couple years ago of me playing a Dreamcast game. Dreamcast games actually render in 640x480 but output at 720x480, which causes massive black bars on the sides.

Even without SMDegrain it's still acting all weird. I'm not sure how to reinterlace this when nothing is making it 29.97i. Avspmod shows 59.94.

EDIT: guess I posted at the same time as you :P I'll try what you said and I'll post back
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much poison! It worked!

Apologies for being kinda ignorant lol, I'm just not that good at using Avisynth despite having using it for a while. Appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ENunn View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What is your avi ? The one you uploaded is 4:2:2, but cropping by 43 left, top 3 suggest you have RGB or 4:4:4 source . Or maybe your source filter is not deocding correctly ? Also there are interlaced cropping restrictions for 4:2:2
    The source is 4:2:2. AvsPmod detects it as YV24, so thats probably why it's letting me crop by 43.

It's not avspmod's fault - it' s just reporting what your script shows

The culprit is AVISource, or actually whatever VFW decoder you are using

If you want to decode it properly , you'd have to configure your VFW decoder setup correctly. Or you can use another source filter like ffms2 or lsmash
    Quote Quote  
  5. Code:
     AVISource("D:\virtualdub\tape transfers\old tony hawk gameplay from 2014-1.avi", atrack=0)
    AssumeTFF()
        Crop(43, 3, -38, -4)
        Spline64Resize(640,480)
            Deblock()
        SMDegrain()
        SeparateFields()
        Weave()
    Trim(0, 1453)
    Trim(1015, 1453)
    SMDegrain isn't the only problem with this script. If AviSource had given the expected YUY2 output your crop would have failed. But it looks like you are aware of that YUY2 video can't be cropped by odd values horizontally. After cropping you are resizing horizontally and vertically. But your video is interlaced at that point. The vertical resize is causing the two fields to blend together. Here's a frame from your trimmed sample where the video is fading in from black to white:

[Attachment 49824 - Click to enlarge]

(Be sure to view the images full size, pixel-for-pixel.) On the left is the interlaced frame. You can see the alternating black and grey lines. On the right the two fields are stacked vertically rather than woven. You can see that the first field is black, the second field is light grey.

After your crop/resize operation you get:

[Attachment 49825 - Click to enlarge]

The two fields have blended together. They can no longer be separated into a black field and a grey field.

Also, cropping the top of an interlaced video by an odd number of scan lines reversed the field order. Your TFF video becomes BFF. Of course, this no longer matters because the two fields are blended together.

Then you are running Deblock and SMDegrain on interlaced frames. Neither of those filters is interlace aware and will further blend the two fields together.

After that you are calling SeparateFields followed immediately by Weave. Those are complimentary operations -- called sequentially like this they make no change to the frame, just waste time.

Finally there are two sequential Trim() operations. Those can be reduced to a single Trim(1015,1453).

To get YUY2 video out of AviSource try using the pixel_type specification:

Code:
     AVISource("D:\virtualdub\tape transfers\old tony hawk gameplay from 2014-1.avi", atrack=0, pixel_type="YUY2")
    Whether that works or not will depend on the VFW h.264 decoder you are using. It may or may not be able to output YUY2.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also, if you're going to use QTGMC to deinterlace you should check out its noise reduction filter too. It's not as good as SMDegrain but you may find it's good enough. And it will be faster than calling both QTGMC and SMDegrain. There are lots of settings (see the docs) but you can start with the easy preset:

Code:
    QTGMC(preset="fast", EZDenoise=2.0, DenoiseMC=true)
    I wouldn't go much higher than 2.0. You'll start seeing smearing and posterization artifacts.

Also, I wouldn't go back to interlaced video unless your target is DVD.

If your VCR has a sharpness filter -- turn it off (or down). That will eliminate those oversharpening halos. They're hard to remove once they've been introduced into the video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Aug 2019 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Very interesting information! I'll keep all that in mind.

My VCR doesn't have a sharpening filter option so I can't do much about that. Funnily enough it just crapped the bed.

I'm gonna get a new VCR soon and hopefully it'll have a sharpening option.
    Quote Quote