VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, e-readers!

You might probably know that some standalone DVD players, like some from Coby, Cyberhome, Norcent, etc. are compatible with "DVD MPEG ISO" which is nothing more than MPEG files recorded as data on DVDR's. These files can be played without the rest of the DVD-Video structure (IFO, BUP) although the DVD menu is lost. Regarding playback of these MPEG ISO files on DVDR's, I have been wondering, can these standalone players play the files at random as it is the case with data MP3 DVDR's, assuming the players can randomly play MP3's on DVDR's? Additionally, can I fast forward and fast rewind among MPEG ISO files, again, assuming that the players can do the same with MP3's on DVDR's?

Thank you,

Carlos Albert "Disco Makbert"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are only ISOs if you copy them to your HDD as an ISO format file. Otherwise they are just considered data discs where the data happens to be mpeg format video files. Semantics ? Perhaps.

Random play would be a plyer feature, as anything outside the DVD spec is pretty much up for grabs. If a particular manufacturer decides to put random play of video titles in, the player will have it. Most do not appear to offer this feature.

As for FF and FR - if the files are properly indexed, and the player supports the function correctly, then yes, you can do it. The players that I have that will play mpeg files all offer FF and FR.

Do not assume that what a player can do with MP3 files it will also do with mpeg video files. Different functions entirely. I have a player that happily plays MP3 and Divx/Xvd encoded AVI files, as well as DVDs, but will not touch or even recognise files that are plain mpeg.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello, Guns1inger!

>They are only ISOs if you copy them to your HDD as an ISO format file. Otherwise they are just considered data discs where the >data happens to be mpeg format video files. Semantics ? Perhaps.

Indeed, they are data discs. But this particular data disc is sometimes called "DVD MPEG ISO" for reasons that I am not familiar with. A more precise description is "MPEG files recorded as data on a DVDR disc".

>Random play would be a plyer feature, as anything outside the DVD spec is pretty much up for grabs. If a particular manufacturer >decides to put random play of video titles in, the player will have it. Most do not appear to offer this feature.

I see.

>As for FF and FR - if the files are properly indexed, and the player supports the function correctly, then yes, you can do it. The >players that I have that will play mpeg files all offer FF and FR.

You mean FF and FR among files and not within a file, right?

>Do not assume that what a player can do with MP3 files it will also do with mpeg video files. Different functions entirely. I have a >player that happily plays MP3 and Divx/Xvd encoded AVI files, as well as DVDs, but will not touch or even recognise files that are >plain mpeg.

Good points!

Take good care,

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I mean Fast Forward and Fast rewind within a file during playback. On my players at least, FF and FR are actions within a file while viewing. Next will usually jump to the next file in the list, and previous will jump to the start of current file on the first press, and the previous file on the list on the second press.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I see, Guns1inger. It is not what I thought. In the case of some CyberHome DVD players, you can ff or fr among all MP3 files on DVDR's, not just within a file. But, as you kindly let us know, MP3 playback and Video Title playback are two different functions entirely. I wrongly assumed that, for instance, random playing of MP3's on a data disc was almost an assurance of random playing of MPEG's on a data disc ):

The good part is that we can find out if we are right or wrong by coming to this forum and getting the help of knowledgeable people such as yourself (:

Quote Quote