VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to take my current already formatted & setup WD red HDD's from my old WD DL2100 NAS & put them in another new DL2100.

When I do this it asks me to choose a language & click on the terms & conds in my internet browser. If I proceed will it just let me access my drives & data info like on the pervious model? Or will it do something to my data rendering it unusable?

Basically my old NAS is shot & I have a new one of same model & won't to start using it but afraid I'll threaten my data.

If anyone knows from experience please tell me.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the old one is dead it really doesn't matter does it? either way the data is gone. i doubt it will recognize the drives as the nas hasn't been set up for drive type/format/raid level. personally when one of my nas boxes was dying i moved all the data off onto a computer and then re-copied onto the new nas. took days but nothing was lost.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. ahh the joys of raid migration. when will people learn raid is more trouble than it is worth?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can try a Linux boot disk and see if it is accessible, but, when you use a custom, oddball, non-standard way of setting up drives for data storage, you absolutely must understand that you are putting your data at serious risk.

Would also recommend a thorough reading of the manufacturer's technical specs and researching for recovery methods. IME you are likely SOL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can contact WD Support to check first.

Here's a thread about moving drives from WD EX4100 to a PR4100

https://community.wd.com/t/switching-from-ex4100-to-pr4100/168401/2

Based on what I heard over the phone from support, as long as the drives are placed in the new enclosure in the same order, it should work just fine.
    Remember, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if the old one is dead it really doesn't matter does it? either way the data is gone. i doubt it will recognize the drives as the nas hasn't been set up for drive type/format/raid level. personally when one of my nas boxes was dying i moved all the data off onto a computer and then re-copied onto the new nas. took days but nothing was lost.
    The HDD's look to be fine, just the NAS unit itself is gone, stopped working out of the blue. If I could do things differently I would back it all up on a usb drive or a few of em.

Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    You can contact WD Support to check first.

Here's a thread about moving drives from WD EX4100 to a PR4100

https://community.wd.com/t/switching-from-ex4100-to-pr4100/168401/2

Based on what I heard over the phone from support, as long as the drives are placed in the new enclosure in the same order, it should work just fine.
    Remember, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)
    thanks, ill look into it.
    Quote Quote