VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hello

does anyone know of a machine that rather like a dvd duplicator - can take multiple discs and convert to say mpeg
    i have a few to do and am looking for a labour saving way of doing it!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've converted a complete DVD collection by using 4 DVD drives in a PC tower case to MKVs. H.264/AC-3.
    I just used VidCoder and batched them. They converted directly from the DVD drive, so no ripping involved.

They did convert one at a time, though there may be some conversion software that could do several at once,
    but you may run out of CPU resources. It took about 15 minutes per DVD conversion.

MPEG conversion may be faster. Maybe just use DVDVob2Mpg or similar and a decryption software like AnyDVD.
    Unknown if DVDVob2Mpg it can batch convert.

My system may not be the best way, but it's cheaper than most hardware conversions to set up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi redwudz

that's very helpful thank you

what you did for yourself sounds cool and just what I need (over 200 to do..)

can you give me a little more detail about your process please?

are you saying you inserted 4 and then one by one added them to your batch?

and what do you mean by 'mkvs' please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    coody
    Gastrov
    devdev
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MKV is an abbreviation for the Matroska video container format. https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?M#Matroska,%20MKA,%20MKV,%20MKS
    I'm using H.264/AC-3 with it. Other codecs, such as MPEG-4 and AAC audio can be used with the MKV container.
    AC-3 audio is common on most DVDs, so I don't need to convert it, saving time. H.264 is much more compact than MPEG-2 video with still good quality.

Yes, I put 4 DVDs into the drives and selected each one in the queue, then ran the batch. VidCoder can also convert to other formats.
    I leave most settings at default, select 'Constant Framerate' and a 'Constant Quality' of 18.5 and end up with a video/audio file of about 2GB.

If you want an exact copy of the DVD, then DVDVob2MPEG, will work, but the filesize will be about the same as the original DVD.
    With ~200 DVDs to process, you can calculate out the storage size with either or similar options.
    Last edited by redwudz; 16th Apr 2018 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's really appreciated - thank you
    Quote Quote