VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

Im a film student and i was given an assignment to film a short only using a canon vixia that records in AVCHD. The catch was that you cannot edit whatsoever. Meaning you cant delete shots from the sd card once you have started, and every shot has to be as you intended, and then play in consecutive order. I did this to some success, but it got me thinking, is there a way to take media files from a computer and put them onto an sd card to simulate this effect? If you took AVCHD files and put them back on the sd card, would they play like they were recorded in camera? is there a way to do that?

Cheers!
    Last edited by jessesolo; 25th Sep 2019 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not really. You can use something like MultiAVCHD to create a similar structure on a card -- but you'll never reproduce the full camera metadata.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would do a single shot if possible, leave in all the character breaks and mistakes. In the old days of shooting on film if an actor muffed his lines or broke character they would yell "cut", stop filming, reset and start again, this was because film stock was expensive and record once.

With digital, filming doesn't stop until scene end, meaning muffed lines, actors breaking character due to laughing or sneezing or anything doesn't stop the filming, this is how you get BTS footage. What they do is they record everything and then decide during the editing what stays in or gets eliminated from the final production.

I think this is what your instructor is trying to see with this assignment.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No that’s totally what he was trying to do, and I got an A on the project. I’m just the kind of nerd that wants to figure out how to modify all the cameras metadata and time codes so that you literally couldn’t tell the difference.
    I know digital forensics teams have ways to check this stuff, but if there is a way to write it, there has got to be a way to rewrite it, no?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You would never be able to replicate the natural progression of an actor breaking character, for whatever reason, or muffing his lines and having to reset time after time.

It's not the digital forensics that you can't fake, it's the human behavior.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Absolutely, but maybe i wasnt clear. The Professor allowed for separate clips, you just had to start/stop recording in camera perfectly. I was thinking about how to change things like end this clip 3 seconds earlier, or use a FTB at the end of this clip, etc. not changing the content of the shots.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Absolutely, but maybe i wasnt clear. The Professor allowed for separate clips, you just had to start/stop recording in camera perfectly. I was thinking about how to change things like end this clip 3 seconds earlier, or use a FTB at the end of this clip, etc. not changing the content of the shots.
    Cutting AVCHD footage in a lossless and transparent manner may be possible with something like TSMuxer, but a fade to black implies re-encoding, and it is not possible AFAIK to reproduce with software means the exact encoding parameters of a given video recording device. The edited files may not be recognized at all by the recording device, and even if they are and play correctly within it, it would be possible to spot the “trickery” ; depends on the level of scrutiny.
    As for editing the metadata, I'm looking for a way to do just that, either through an automated process using a dedicated software, or the hard way, through hexadecimal editing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i guess there isnt a lot of demand for what we are talking about
    Last edited by jessesolo; 2nd Oct 2019 at 02:42.
    Quote Quote