VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Just purchased the above recorder. I am quite happy with it except that I realise that this recorder could not record my VHS that are NTSC. It only accepts PAL and SECAM. I have numerous tapes that I need to backup to DVD which are NTSC. Anyone got any idea how I can overcome this problem? Thanks!

cheers,
    geck072
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look like you are in PAL land, with NTSC tapes?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    I think it is cheaper to buy another DVD recorder that supports both PAL and NTSC, such as Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Look like you are in PAL land, with NTSC tapes?
    Yes. I am in a place where PAL is the standard. However, I have bought several tapes from US. I would like to phase out my VCR as well as to back these tape up in DVD in order to preserve them.

I know that Pioneer DVD recorders can records in both PAL and NTSC but I believe Pioneer has built in Macrovision detection which made recording some of these tapes impossible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, your problem is PAL-60, if you're using a PAL VCR to play the NTSC tapes. Not much digital equipment will like that bastard signal. You need a true NTSC VCR to play it, then a converter. Or digital conversion equipment that accepts the PAL-60 format.

And a TBC will also likely be needed to overcome anti-copy measures.

Fun, huh? Welcome to video. The ride never ends.

I've never tried this: play the NTSC (PAL-60) from the PAL VCR to a PAL VCR recording it. I'm thinking it may be PAL-50 at this point (normal PAL). Then go ahead and play that to a capture device or DVD recorder to make the normal PAL DVDs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote