VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to connect my very old VHS player to the E55 to burn vhs to DVD.

1) Can this be done?
    2) Is there any protection on the vhs or dvd recorder to prevent this?
    3) What do i need to do this (cables etc.)

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. As long as the tapes are not retail tapes with copyguard, yes it can be done. You need a set of RCA jacks which should come with the machine. You will need another set of RCA jacks or an s-video cable to connect the recorder to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

Is there a difference in picture quality if i use an s-video cable instead of an rca jack, or vice versa?
    Quote Quote  
  4. stuff i found on s-video vs. Composite(RCA) video input quality.

http://multimedian.com/pcv/school/svideo.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. In many cases, especially with panasonic you might get a "better" image by going the composite route vs -Svideo. Seems counter - intuitive but true.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466343
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the Panasonic E60 model. It has a composite, S-video and DV input. In theory, the DV input should give the best quality of the recording. I found that there is no visible difference between DV and S-video input in the terms of resolution and general fidelity of the picture, except - brightness. The picture through the DV input is brighter then the one that goes through the S-video input and it is brighter then the original picture (there is no option within the recorders hardware/software to correct this anomaly). The reason: an incoming DV signal completely bypasses the TBC circuit in this machine. For that reason I almost never use the DV port (in other words – it is useless for me).
    Quote Quote  
  7. The only time I've ever used the s-video with the Panasonic is with laserdiscs, it is definitely better on them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by samijubal
    The only time I've ever used the s-video with the Panasonic is with laserdiscs, it is definitely better on them.
    I'm glad you said that....... here's why:
    Laserdisc is a "composite" technology, always has been. As you probably know, all the respected LD "experts" agree that the newer comb filters on the digital (and analogue) displays will do a much better job than the older comb filters found on LD players.
    Now then, that said, I AGREE with you!! I tried both composite and S-video output from my Pioneer CLD-D704 LD player and I found that the S-video has a better picture when recorded onto a DVD.

Anyone know why/how this could be true??
    Thanks, Tom
    Still a LD and Vinyl Fan
    Quote Quote