VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I got my new DRU500AX drive. I just installed small DLA software that you can use to drag'n'drop files into DVD-+RW media.

What is different between DLA drag'n'drop and real burning?

How come real burning takes much longer whereas DLA drag'n'drop takes 5 seconds?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DLA is suitable for RW-type media (especially +RW with lossless linking). It allows you to use the disk like a floppy with about a 3.0 MB/sec I/O speed, which isn't shabby.

The downside is that many DVD-ROM machines can't read the media unless you "Make Compatible" the media.

For real burning, you have to "erase" the RW media, then burn it inside of a program - not as convenient as DLA.

DLA (although I like Nero InCD better) is much more convenient for imprompty backups, etc......

However, drag'n' drop doesn't take "5 seconds" - the initial format takes a couple minutes or so (although they hide that by doing background formatting on a +RW) and writing time depends on the size of the file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply

Last night i formated (quick erased) a DVD+RW cd and then burned some data files on it. And when i try to use it on normal DVD-ROM PC drives they won't read it only Sony DRU500AX does.

What's the point of using +RW media if you can't use on normal computers?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The point is convenience for backup-type purposes. You need to see if there's a "Make Compatible" buttone somewhere. On "InCD", I believe it's a right-click on the drive. With DLA, I couldn't find one.

In theory, this makes the disk compatible with players that can read a normal DVD+RW (however, be aware that many DVD-ROM drives can't read DVD+RW).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually i couldn't find any "Make compatible" option when i right click on the drive.
    Quote Quote