VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. Any old timers remember this stuff? Some of it dating back to when Windows XP was new.
    Last edited by video.baba; 27th Jul 2019 at 03:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't remember either of the Clad programs, but avi.net and rebox absolutely! I wonder if there are many people still using divx/xvid?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Don't remember either of the Clad programs, but avi.net and rebox absolutely! I wonder if there are many people still using divx/xvid?

About 1/2 of the movies on my system are encoded Xvid from back in the day, and probably most of my home videos. Auto GordionKnot was my primary interface. I haven't encoded using it in years, but lots of Xvid playback still in my life.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't remember those programs, but do remember whatever program was used to "rip" DVDs frame by frame before CSS was cracked and when DVDShrink* was introduced. I also remember Auto GordionKnot, though can't remember how it worked.

I've never, back then and now bothered shrinking my DVDs*. Though I did have some videos that were encoded in .dvix and xvid. I was wary of matroska, thinking it would fall by the wayside (I didn't know about the difference between formats and containers back then) and didn't start using it until a while after MakeMKV came out.

*Edit: Correction, early on, I DID shrink my some of my DVD-9s to DVD-5, but soon switched to splitting them with DVDShrink to two DVD-5s.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, at nearly 60, I'm still a relative youngster amongst some the regulars here so physical age doesn't have anything to do with remembering these programs. And though I starting playing around with video capture in the late '90's, I'm still a newbie compared to someone like lordsmurf and others who have been at it and have worked professionally in the field for much longer
    Last edited by lingyi; 27th Jul 2019 at 00:12. Reason: Additional info / clarity
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I was wary of matroska, thinking it would fall by the wayside...
    Haha, yeh, I had the exact same feeling back then. I can remember the first MKV I got hold of, useless, I could do nothing with it, couldn't convert it, couldn't play it, got so frustrated. I'm sure at the time I was thinking why don't people just use an xvid/divx AVI, surely it can't get better than that.

I remember setting-up an encode many years ago, when having a DVD was the latest thing. I'd ripped it, and set-up an MPEG-1 encode (PAL), the idea was to make a VCD. It took hours, all night and all the next day. However, when done, I was blown away. MPEG-1 352 x 288 and it looked amazing. Those were the days...
    Quote Quote  
  7. lol Star Wars ripped from DVB-S receiver (encrypted TV channel and anyway PC HW to receive DVB-S was expensive and rare ) trough S-Video to HW MJPEG card after all transcoded to Indeo5! (And Indeo5 was first PC codec offering decent quality and decent encoding speed, of course RIP was 720x576 thus in those day probably one of best Star Wars RIP's available on torrent).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember all 3. And each was pretty terrible.

To be honest, most of those are "new programs" compared to the earliest/oldest stuff I can remember.

When I started to do serious video, Win98/ME and Win2000 were the tools of choice. But I was playing with video back on Windows 3.1 and DOS. The first video that I ever worked with was the GL format, essentially a low-palette animated GIF, before we had animated GIFs (non-CompuServe). It was low res (sub-320x240), B&W, and no sound, maybe 10fps.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard or tried those programs,back then i used cdmage,nero dvdshrink a little later.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I remember all 3. And each was pretty terrible.
    Haha! Now that's why I love forums.
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Never heard or tried those programs.
    Yeh, they weren't popular here, used to be popular on Doom9 back in the day, when Doom9 was at the forefront of everything video. I've noticed over these past few years it seems to have stagnated and 'videohelp' has taken the mantle.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    At this time I was employed in the DVD Video production, authoring.
    Quote Quote