VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'll be out of all of your hair soon, and wont be a bother any longer, but...OK, I got the parts for the rebuild, so I am not yet convinced I need a Nvidia GPU.
    CPU - intel i7 4770 3.4GHz
    MEMORY - Crucial Ballistix 2x 8GB DDR3 (PC3-12800) 1600
    MoBo - MSI B85-G41 PC Mate (LGA 1050)
    PSU - Seasonic 550w S12G Gold
    CPU Heatsink - CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO
    Boot SSD - Samsung 840EVO 250GB

On my last 7 year old build, I installed a 700W, DDR2, Q6600, and it turns out people are telling me that's an overkill with that 700W, so this around I decided on only a 550w, so as long as I don't do a SLI double Hi-End GPU's, I hope this will he sufficient enough power.
    I've heard from others that because the i7 Haswell CPU has the built in HD Graphics, I may not actually need a GPS, but someone mentioned having a card, like the GTX-650 Ti for instance, would be an improvement for watching YouTube and Video editing.
    Will I be at a loss if I don't get a GPU to supplement this build? I could afford one, but not the more expensive,upper level gaming GPU.
    I guess I could always try it first with Pinnacle, then decide, and install it later, but again, while I'm putting this all in now, it would be easier, and faster.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get the GPU and a 2nd SATA HDD (not USB) to store your (captured, edited, rendered, project) files and pagefile.sys in. 700W is not overkill; the lower current drawn viv-a-vis the maximum capacity of a PSU, the cooler, quieter, more efficient, and consequently longer life and less troublesome it ultimately is.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I haven't bought a GPU yet, as I was going to wait to see if the i7 4770 will suffice for video editing, and using Photoshop, and maybe expand to Adobe premiere Pro down the line. I DO NOT GAME, AND DO NOT OVERCLOCK. I've heard that the newer middle GPU's are actually faster for video processing than the i7 alone.

If I do buy a GTX-650,660,670, or some other GPU, do I have to do anything in the BIOS to get the GPU to work more efficiently?

Also, In installing all the parts, CPU, CPU cooler. PSU,16 GBDDR# Ram 1600, SSD, and HDD's, and the GPU, if I buy one, Is there any wiring from the case,that I DO NOT plug into the new motherboard, so as to not confuse the i7 4600 HD graphics?
    people are telling me to go buy an FULL HD 24" Monitor, or I may have some issues with graphics?? WHAT?

New parts list~
    MSI B85-G41 Mobo / i7 4770 3.4GHz CPU / 16GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram / Seasonic S12G 550W PSU / Coolermaster HYPER 212 EVO CPU Cooler / GPU????

(REUSING MY COOLERMASTER 690 ATX CASE, AND 2 HARD INT.DRIVES FOR STORAGE, AND TWO DVD/CDR ODD'S) SOMEONE ALSO TOLD MY OLD 8600GT NVIDIA GPU MIGHT STILL BE BETTER THAN using THE NEW i7 4770 HD graphics. I would not think so, besides, I think I would need at least 512MB,and GDDR5 on a GPU.

Photoshop CS5 Extended, and pinnacle Studio 15 HD software. (non-professional usage)

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rivrbyte View Post
    Hi,
    I haven't bought a GPU yet, as I was going to wait to see if the i7 4770 will suffice for video editing, and using Photoshop, and maybe expand to Adobe premiere Pro down the line.
    Premiere Pro will always work best with a GPU separate from built-in graphics, as the former will be used for processing and lessen system overhead. While Adobe recommends nVidia Quadro (which costs an arm and a leg), it's said the current sweet spot (for weekend editors who want to maintain their anatomy intact) is nVidia GTX660Ti. Premiere Pro *.ini files can be tweaked to let its mercury engine avail of the processing cores of this GPU for hardware-assisted rendering/encoding. Note that, the GPU card has to have at least 1GB of memory for all this to apply.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote