VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newby. Attempting to transfer some VHS to my laptop, I got a terrible experience by using a popular grabber... low video quality (lot of noise) and the laptop was often in crash. So now I'm posting to get any help and suggestion to achieve that. I greatly appreciate if someone can teach me which devices to buy to get a reasonable quality and how to set them up. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by jwillis84; 19th Mar 2020 at 18:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Wow. Do you feel better after getting that missive off your chest ? The OP asks for help and most of your reply gives reasons why he can not do what he asks.

So ignoring that, I'll attempt to get back to the OP's concerns.

1. Provide the name of this 'popular grabber'. If it is 'Easycap' (or 'Easycrap' as it is often called on here) then by all means ditch it. But just in case it is something else then let us know.

2. Capturing straight to a laptop can also be an issue. The capture process/HDD is competing with the OS and even Windows 10 aside there can be conflicts. Better to capture to an external HDD

3. Noise is typically present in VHS. Whilst there are VCRS that minimise that (using DNR) it can also be removed post-capture - the capture really is only the first part of the task. Even many DVD-Recorders will also capture the noise from a VHS so they are not the be all and end all solution.

I would also ask that you upload a short sample of your capture to see if noise is the only issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Wow. Do you feel better after getting that missive off your chest ? The OP asks for help and most of your reply gives reasons why he can not do what he asks.

So ignoring that, I'll attempt to get back to the OP's concerns.
    Great Ignore it.

I'll delete it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Grabber is DAZZLE by Pinnacle as my past experience led me to choice Pinnacle as reliable brand: I was wrong...
    What I'm looking for now is if there is another way to capture from VCR. I see on web (Amazon, Ebay) lot of devices and I am quite confused which is suitable for my Laptop running window 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There may be nothing wrong with the DAZZLE as long as there are official drivers available for Win10.

Getting another device and you could still have the same issues. Which is why I requested a short sample capture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some pinnacle capture devices are built in MPEG-2 encoding chip and cannot be bypassed which explains the low capture quality, You have to know what device version you have.
    Quote Quote