VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, can someone recommend me a very good HD video editor for my system requirements:
    Processor: AMD A10 6800k 4.1ghz
    Video Card: AMD R9 270x 2 GB
    8GB RAM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For what types of video and audio in which types of files? Do you need frame-accurate editing? Do you need an editor with the ability to convert? Do want an editor that does minimal re-encoding if all you want to do is remove some parts of the video? What is your budget?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are your needs
    Quote Quote  
  4. When I was looking the last time at relatively simple Windows-based NLE (which was a while ago), I tried three of them: Adobe Premere Elements (PE), Ulead (U) and Sony Movie Studio (MS). Of the three, PE was the slowest dog, U allowed to edit AVCHD with straight cuts and save the resulting video without re-encoding, while MS was overall the most flexible and the fastest. IMHO, SME is the best for less powerful computers.

If you to buy MS, please be advised that this software was owned by Sony for a long time, then sold to Magix. Starting from version 15, the UI has changed. Starting from version 18 the codebase has changed, so effectively what is now called Magix Movie Studio is in fact re-named Magix Movie Edit Pro.

If you are just starting, choose basic version of the last real Movie Studio, version 17. Or the last Movie Studio with the original UI, version 14. There are three variants: basic, Platinum and Suite, you can read about their differences on Amazon or elsewhere.

Here is Movie Studio 14 Platinum for $47. And here is Movie Studio 17 basic for $30 (boxed version cheaper than download, get this). There are not a lot of changes between versions, say 12 and 17. If you don't need HDR or fancy audio formats, you'll be all right with an older version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    For what types of video and audio in which types of files? Do you need frame-accurate editing? Do you need an editor with the ability to convert? Do want an editor that does minimal re-encoding if all you want to do is remove some parts of the video? What is your budget?
    Hi I'm looking for a video editor that supports MKV tab to improve the quality and better resolution but also to cut from the video!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    What are your needs

The budget is unlimited!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Valentin98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hi I'm looking for a video editor that supports MKV tab to improve the quality and better resolution but also to cut from the video!
    Other people know much more than I do about re-sizing video and improving quality. However "improving the quality and better resolution" will require re-encoding the video and could be done with other software that is not an editor. With a low-spec PC like yours, you will need to wait a long time for the re-encode to finish. It also takes time to learn which tools should be used to improve quality and how to use them.

Simple cutting could be done with TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6. TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6 can cut on any frame and would be fast even on a low-spec PC because it only re-encodes a limited number of frames adjacent to the cut points. It has a free trial.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very good for me: Avisynth, VirtualDub2. And these programs are free.

Before I used Premiere, Ulead, TMPGEnc, wasn't impressed, they would need to pay me to use these again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on what one means by "editing"...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. DaVinci taxes my computer hard. I'd say Shotcut is the least demanding. For simple quick trims and cuts I just use LosslessCut and most encoding I use Videomass. All three of these are GPL open source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
    I'd say Shotcut is the least demanding.
    Can it take AvS scripts as input?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
    Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
    I'd say Shotcut is the least demanding.
    Can it take AvS scripts as input?
    Not directly. But you can use Avisynth Virtual File System
    It creates a virtual .avi file from your script which you can open in Shotcut as if it were a real .avi file.
    Last edited by Sharc; 4th May 2022 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Valentin98 View Post
    To be clear and because nobody else mentioned it to you directly: your hardware specs are pretty much not of interest at all. You might want to look out for some RAM in general because you only have 8GB (my smartphone has 8gb these days).
    There are so many options out there but usually "improve quality and better resolution" is not at all what you get from editing software. Typically the stuff out there either focusses on either quality or editing. E.g. You will not get out lots of improvement from adobe premiere but you will have a smooth and nice cutting experience while it might be exactly the other way around when using davinci resolve.
    Quote Quote