VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Calpe
    Search PM
    I have two LG drives on my PC.

One is a LG Blu-ray BD drive HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH10LS20 ATA Device.

The second is a LG DVD writer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device.

I realised too late that on these drives you can change the Region Code only 5 times

Are there any multi-region hacks for these drives?

Or another method to be able to continue changing the regions when i want?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sometimes it's too late if you have already gone through your 5 changes. The "5 changes" is nothing new. It's been around for decades.
    You can TRY looking for firmware here:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/
    Just beware that using the wrong firmware will "brick" your drive, meaning it will never function again.
    Have fun.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Calpe
    Search PM
    Weird why they should place 5 changes only? Unlike normal DVD players you can hack them to make them multi-region.
    I might as well just install VLC Media rather than damage by any firmware updates.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V_P View Post
    Unlike normal DVD players you can hack them to make them multi-region.
    Where have you been? That was in the jurassic era. Manufacturers of current BD/DVD players (esp. region 1 & A) have closed off every loophole that enable user hacks to turn them multiregion. One option left are (expensive) players sold by bluraymods.com and 220-electronics.com.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Calpe
    Search PM
    And all those dinosaurs! Depends on the manufacturer and the 'region' you live in. Apart from some makes i.e. Panasonic a lot of makes are hackable.
    If you are familiar with an Hex Editor, it means removing the Eeprom I.C. and then reading the contents and then change the hex number that determines the region. e.g. if the number is 1 or 2 change it to 255 (open).
    A bit of work but that's what all these big web site do. Crack one and you've got it made.
    Thanks 'october262' i'll give it a go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V_P View Post
    If you are familiar with an Hex Editor, it means removing the Eeprom I.C. and then reading the contents and then change the hex number that determines the region. e.g. if the number is 1 or 2 change it to 255 (open).
    A bit of work but that's what all these big web site do. Crack one and you've got it made.
    Is that so with BD players? I have a MiniPro tl866 programmer that I use to read and program eeproms up with and can display the contents in windoze. If there are no recognizable strings in the hex txt, what should I be looking for? Are there specific steps to be taken with, for example, a Sony S370? Is there a f/w hex text with comments for this player somewhere that I can use as guide? There are two problems I see here:
    • if the eeprom is a DIP or even an SOIC-8 it would be easy to remove and resolder; unfortunately a lot are higher-density pin PLCC or even BGA which means a lot of fine-fingered dexterity, or maybe even a hot-air station
    • it's easy to tell which bits in a hex text to change if there are recognizable strings or value fields; tough if there is none and it's all random
    More than five years ago it was easy, for one, to alter Panasonic this way with their first line of BD players; an eeprom can be piggybacked on the existing one that whose contents can only be read but not altered. Eeprom kits to do so were even on sale. Panasonic and sony seem to have caught on if the fact that they have used hard-2-remove ICs and what seems to be garbage hex contents (it's not, there are just no ACII strings or fields) are anything to go by.
    This has become a full-time endeavor, only the sites I indicated above probably make money off it. Not all amateurs can have eeprom programmers or hot-air guns.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    This will only reset the region code of the software player, not the one in the f/w of the DVD/BD-ROM drive, which OP has all used up. A payware solution is AnyDVD, which doesn't change anything but encapsulates the DVD or BD content above a layer; both the drive, the software player, and windoze see a no-region disc.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!