VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

Wondering if anyone can help out. I have the main m2ts file from a concert Blu Ray that I wanted to do a couple of changes to and add to my collection. The file comes with both DTSMA and LPCM tracks so I wanted to get rid of the LPCM track and then add named chapters with Mkvtoolnix(done this may a times before). I'm playing it on an old WD Live player through an external drive. I played the remuxed file but there is no audio(video is fine). What I noticed is that when I played the original m2ts file the audio plays fine and the WD shows the track as DTSMA. When I play the remuxed file it comes up as DTSHRA. I did another remux where I also kept the LPCM track to see if that would be affected but, it plays fine.
    The DTSMA track has the following properties for the m2ts : DTS-HD Master Audio English 7148 kbps 5.1 / 96 kHz / 7148 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 6.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit).

I'm not sure why Mkvtoolnix would change the track from DTSMA to DTSHRA(I think the WD supports it anyways). Would the DTS Core 6.1 have anything to do with it? Any help or advise would be appreciated

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, this rings a bell from times where the world consisted of merely flesh and teeth

I remember having DTS-MA issues with my WD mediaplayer ages ago.
    Memory doesn't serve me enough to be able laying my finger on the problem (if it even would be exactly the same).

However, first advise would be to check the mkv (created by mkvtoolnix) with MediaInfo and see if the audio is still the same as the source's DTS-HD MA. To me, it seems unlikely that mkvtoolnix would change it. Btw, I agree that the WD player would recognise DTS-HD HR.

Secondly, did you use the latest version of mkvtoolnix?

Thirdly, maybe it's in the demuxing of the m2ts file itself. What you can try is demuxing it with another tool. Like tsMuxer, or eac3to (cli tool but there is a good GUI: UsEac3to). You mentioning a 6.1 core rings another bell. After that, import the demuxed elementary streams into mkvtoolnix to mux new mkv. Maybe this would solve the problem.

Furthermore, I do remember that I solved some issues of the WD player with a firmware update. But I don't dare to tell if these problems were related to the current issues. Should you decide to do a firmware flash, always back-up your old firmware, just to be able to go back in case things get worse.
    Last edited by Ennio; 3rd Aug 2020 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Ennio,

Thanks for the insight and options to try. Yeah I think the WD Live is way past it's prime but I have a couple of external drives with old shows and concerts on them and, it still hangs in there. I'll probably update to a Nvidia Sheild later this year. The WD Live and mkvtoolnix have the latest firmware(actually mkvtoolnix came out with an update this morning) so that shouldn't be the issue. Tried with TsMuxer and come up with the same result. I also compared the 2 audio files and the only difference was the original listed Codec ID as 134 and the remuxed as A_DTS. I think the combination of this and the 6.1 has something to do with it. If I recall correctly when I tried to play some older Star Wars remuxes that were 6.1 it didn't like those either. Again thanks for your help!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Maybe you can try to import your m2ts source into tsMuxer and remux to m2ts container again, removing the lpcm track. See what happens...

Since you mentioned the dts core to be 6.1, this rings a bell of some discussion about dts-es and eac3to I read somewhere.
    If you didn't try eac3to, I would suggest to give that a go. Actually, it has recently been updated with a new GUI. You can download here at VH software.

Furthermore, you can also try the nightly builds of tsMuxer. As I understand some people are continuously busy with enhancing the tool and maybe the latest versions have improvements/fixes to your matter.

If indeed mkv is your ultimate goal and your audio equipment should support it, as a last resort, you could losslessly recode the DTS-HD MA track into multichannel FLAC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    ...as a last resort, you could losslessly recode the DTS-HD MA track into multichannel FLAC.
    Or unpack into multichannel PCM, off course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use MakeMKV then select the tracks you want.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Damn, I wish I thought of that. Never knew that you can import m2ts file into MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One caveat you need to open it from select either "index.bdmv" or "MovieObject.bdmv" from the "BDMV" folder/directory and not selecting the actually file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understood OP has the m2ts file only. He can try to import m2ts into tsMuxer, leave it untouched and mux into bluray folder structure. Hopefully tsMuxer doesn't change something on the m2ts.
    After that, import result in MakeMKV. Chapters can always be added later in mkvtoolnix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Missed that, that it was a standalone m2ts file, so really the best way would be to demux the m2ts file into the basic elements and then use mkvtoolnix using only the required tracks.... I tried a few files I have and even if you save or create the meta file MakeMKV won't find the m2ts file.... back to the drawing board!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Anton05 View Post
    Hey,

Wondering if anyone can help out. I have the main m2ts file from a concert Blu Ray that I wanted to do a couple of changes to and add to my collection. The file comes with both DTSMA and LPCM tracks so I wanted to get rid of the LPCM track and then add named chapters with Mkvtoolnix(done this may a times before). I'm playing it on an old WD Live player through an external drive. I played the remuxed file but there is no audio(video is fine). What I noticed is that when I played the original m2ts file the audio plays fine and the WD shows the track as DTSMA. When I play the remuxed file it comes up as DTSHRA. I did another remux where I also kept the LPCM track to see if that would be affected but, it plays fine.
    The DTSMA track has the following properties for the m2ts : DTS-HD Master Audio English 7148 kbps 5.1 / 96 kHz / 7148 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 6.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit).

I'm not sure why Mkvtoolnix would change the track from DTSMA to DTSHRA(I think the WD supports it anyways). Would the DTS Core 6.1 have anything to do with it? Any help or advise would be appreciated

Cheers
    If he is using SPDIF as the audio connection rather than HDMI, DTSHRA will work but not TrueHD and DTS-MA which require HDMI. Could this be a playback problem and has nothing to do with mkvtoolnix?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Could this be a playback problem and has nothing to do with mkvtoolnix?
    Can very well be. I do remember having to quite tinker around in my WD player's settings to get some things right. Alas, can't remember what it was.
    If I assume that the dts core is the same after remux, playback via SPDIF shouldn't be a problem as it plays back the source fine.

I'm still having this feel that it is during the demux of the original audio, that things go "wrong". That the manner it's "written away" is causing the issue, and that the 6.1 core has something to do with it.

I'd still suggest OP to try out eac3to and your idea about MakeMKV. I know both of these great tools saved me many times.

Edit: Sorry, I just overlooked this
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I tried a few files I have and even if you save or create the meta file MakeMKV won't find the m2ts file.... back to the drawing board!
    Damn, this rang a bell again. Had to do some testing.

With tsMuxer 2.6.9 and the "latest nightly" I ran into MakeMKV import issues. Also with too small m2ts files MakeMKV didn't work.

However, if I import a 500MB m2ts file into tsMuxer version 2.6.12 and mux to BD folder structure, I have no problems importing both the resulting index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv into MakeMKV and create a mkv out of it.
    Last edited by Ennio; 6th Aug 2020 at 08:21.
    Quote Quote