VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys,

I have used IMG Burn to "Create an Image File from Disk" of a DVD movie. I works fine and fast. The *.iso file I made is 6.31 gigabytes.

Once the *.iso file is made I go to "Write Image File To Disk" using the *.mds file.

But I cannot burn a DVD! because the *.iso file is 6.31 gigabytes. Too big. The DVD - R has only space for 4.7 gigabytes.

QUESTION:
    How can I get the extra languages, Previews and all the other extras off the disk before I "Create an Image File from Disk" of this DVD movie?

OR

How can I compress this *.iso file so it is 4.7 gigabytes or less?

Thank you
    Little Orfa
    Quote Quote  
  2. open the image file with dvdshrink. file/open disc image. then remove/shrink/re-author to your hearts delight.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

I did as you recommend. I used DVDshrink. I did not need to "Re - author" because the program automaticly compressed the 6.31 gigabyte movie to a 4.4 gigabite movie. I didn't need to eliminate any languages, subtltles or features. So all would fit on a DVD with no problems. Great.

I just pressed BACKUP! I used DVDshrink. to burn the newly compressed 4.6 gigabyte movie to a DVD-R.

But something strange happened. The burned DVD I played on both on my DVD players - SONY Blu-Ray and standard SONY DVD player. The DVD played but had only two chapters from the movie and only in French. There is no menu and the sound is only in French with subtitles. I burned four times with the same result. Why is this not working?

My operating system is Vista 64 bit with an i7 Processor, 6 gig ram, high end videocard with 1 gig ram, high end audioocard with .6 gig ram, and Nero 9.

I read the DVDshrink. instructions carefully at http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm
    and also this illustrated guide, too. It is great!
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php

What happened?

Little orfa
    Quote Quote  
  4. when you open the movie, shrink should list what's in the file. did it list the menus/languages/subtitles? if not the img file may be bad.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Orfa,

1) Open DVDShrink and look under "Edit" button and Check your "Prefernces" ... really you should Not have to do anything if you have not messed with it before.

BTW, why are you keeping Menus and Extras ... you loose Quality ...

Anyway ... if you are keeping all of that ... make Sure that you have English Audio Checked and the "Subtitles" in english ... since sometimes you need them and they are usually very small.

If you have done these ... then you hsould be fine ... you must be doing something wrong ...

BTW ... you can check the playback before you Waste another good DVD ... just play your ISO thru VLC and if it looks good then burn it.

Hope this has helped!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are sweet, thank you gonwk.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked. Thank you!
    Quote Quote