VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

So I'm not a video editor, but when I started with NCH, I had to start learning how to split pieces from a video, add an image at the front, add some music for the image, cut it to fit, add another video outro at the end & add transitions in between the pieces & audio fade-outs.

I'm quite proficient in that now, but the problem now is that NCH suddenly stopped working properly.

I'm paying monthly for their software & tech support, their tech support is terrible even if they do respond very fast.

They don't understand English most of the time & they always refuse to tell me what to do telling me to look the instructions up on their site & most times they don't even give me a link to find the answer whereas most other companies do. What am I paying them for if not to help me?

Once the software stopped working & they refused to help me saying there was nothing wrong, I had to start screaming for a manager.

Then they wanted the project files to test it. Then they lied saying it works on their end.

My website coder tried it on his computer & it didn't work for him either.

There are other issues with them too I won't get into, needless to say they are wasting my time, not reading the e-mails properly, & making me do tons of work due to their incompetence.

So I want to switch to another software, but I don't know what to switch to that isn't very complicated.

I liked NCH b/c when I want to cut pieces of a video, I just enter in the time stamp & can move back & forth if I need to in order to adjust where I split.

When I tried to do that with another software before starting with NCH, it didn't have that time stamp option. You had to use the red line (can't remember what it's called.)

I don't want anything expensive. NCH is a reasonable price.

All of my videos are for activist work, not for business so I'm on a tight budget.

I do like the different blur transition options that NCH has & I occasionally use different effects.

I also need the fade-out for the audio.

Any suggestions on similar software? I really don't want to relearn everything from scratch all over again.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NCH has a rep for being crap, so I'm not surprised, and I don't recommend you even attempt to continue with their stuff.

Going with tradional GUI NLE's...

Give Shotcut a try, as it's pretty simple. Or OpenShot. A couple of steps up from that would be Davinci Resolve (free version) or Lighworks (free version). Or try Vegas Movie Studio, or Corel Video Studio, or Cyberlink PowerProducer. Or Premiere Elements. Many of those will give you room to grow into more complex productions when you're ready.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    NCH has a rep for being crap, so I'm not surprised, and I don't recommend you even attempt to continue with their stuff.

Going with tradional GUI NLE's...

Give Shotcut a try, as it's pretty simple. Or OpenShot. A couple of steps up from that would be Davinci Resolve (free version) or Lighworks (free version). Or try Vegas Movie Studio, or Corel Video Studio, or Cyberlink PowerProducer. Or Premiere Elements. Many of those will give you room to grow into more complex productions when you're ready.

Scott
    Thanks Scott, but I don't need complex software & my budget is on the low side.

I'll try out what you mentioned. I DLed Shotcut, but couldn't figure out how to split a video on my first try. It just deleted the entire thing LOL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since you are trying to do some pretty basic editing, just try the editor that comes with Windows. Can't get any easier then that software.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Since you are trying to do some pretty basic editing, just try the editor that comes with Windows. Can't get any easier then that software.
    Ok, for me what I'm doing seems simple, but after DLing a few pieces of software I'm realizing that being able to add in a time stamp instead of using the red cursor line isn't on many of these pieces of software.

Or adding a transition & blur effect, being able to adjust the volume on different tracks, smoothing out the audio in some areas isn't what these softwares have & I can't stand MS, so I'd prefer not using them.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SensualFreeSpirit View Post

Ok, for me what I'm doing seems simple, but after DLing a few pieces of software I'm realizing that being able to add in a time stamp instead of using the red cursor line isn't on many of these pieces of software.
    Did you try shotcut? Did you mean navigate by entering a timestamp value with number keys or values ? You can do that with the simple editor Shotcut . But the notation is hh:mms:frames . e.g. If you entered 00:05:01:01 - it would move the current position of the playhead to 5 min, 1 sec, 1 frame. It cannot toggle between different timecode notations ; the smallest increment is a single frame (and that corresponds to the framerate of the project); but some of the more advanced editors can (you can toggle ms view for audio samples) if you need that

Or adding a transition & blur effect, being able to adjust the volume on different tracks, smoothing out the audio in some areas isn't what these softwares have & I can't stand MS, so I'd prefer not using them.
    Same - you can do that in shotcut or any of the editors in that list. Shotcut offers a list of ~10 or 20 simple transition list by default, but you can create more complex ones if required

Volume control can be done by audio keyframes and interpolation (linear by default)

Shotcut is definitely one of the better free simple editors, with wide format support (it makes use of ffmpeg libraries)

There are many beginner tutorials for shotcut on youtube and similar sites. If you need specific help, you can post in the shotcut forum or try here
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Dec 2020 at 11:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    NCH has a rep for being crap,
    Worse than that. I consider NCH software to be malware.

Some years ago, an NCH uninstall ruined my OS install. I'd never seen this from other software, nor since.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. if you are still looking for a new software I found a useful article about video editing programs. The products they introduce are not pricy, perfect for a low budget.
    Although this website was originally in German, it was very helpful and understandable when translated.
    Maybe this can help you find a new software for editing.
    greetings
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can get Videostudio Ultimate 2020 for around $34-just Google. It is easy to use and has an excellent Help forum: https://forum.corel.com/viewforum.php?f=1
    Quote Quote