VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ripping DVD's and some videos that were MP4 for iPod use. Seems no matter how I rip/convert, the Vision W has to reconvert again, adding more hours to one simple movie. I assume it's because of the wide screen and it's resolution???
    I have been ripping with DVD Decrypter, then AutoGK to create the AVI. Then unfortunately, when I drag and drop into the creative explorer, it wants to convert again. One movie can take 3-4 hours doing it this way. What am I doing wrong? Or, what tools should I switch to? Is there any as simple as Handbrake for Mac which rips and converts right into an iPod ready format?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, I would like an answer to this question also.

Been using a few programs and the quality is not good, you have to go through the loooong painful process of the Zen converting it again.

Any help on how to get great results putting your DVDs on this device? Fast, clean and high quality?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the previous model Zen, the Zen Vision 30gb. The only difference, of course, is the wide format screen on the 'W' model.
    I don't use the Creative Software to do any of the conversion or management just their pseudo desktop to sync fom my video folder on the laptop to the ZEN.

Here's what I do for a DVD:
    RIP DVD to HDD (pick your favorite method)
    Use VOB2Mpeg to create a single MPEG file from the ripped VOB sets.
    Use SUPER to convert the Mpeg file to Divx 640x480 29.97fps with 128kbps audio.
    Wait.
    Transfer the resulting file to the Zen.
    Enjoy

I have also used Lathe to convert the mpeg file via the Arcos 700 (I think) preset. Lathe costs a couple of dollars and has crummy support but does produce good output.

Also, as a all-in-one deal you can use DVDx to go from DVD (or the RIP) directly to the Divx file the out put is good but very slow start to finish.

Here's a link to Creative's file recommendations for the Vision Models
    http://193.95.171.83:80/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=264,E=0000000000203976868,K=9598,Sxi=14,Kb=ww_ english_add,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/,Case=obj(11043),Kb=ww_english_add

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome reply, thanks a ton!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Vault PVP is great software. Highly recommend it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a Vision:W, but I did have the Vision:M, which I believe is mechanically similar apart from the larger screen. Unfortunately, I didn't have it long enough to really do much encoding with it because it was stolen a week after I got it, but I was ripping with RipIt4Me and encoding with AutoGK, but I was having serious errors with audio sync. I would rip an enitre DVD of, say, B5 episodes, and the sound from the last episode on the disc would be playing for the first 20 minutes of the first episode.

Apparently this is because you're only supposed to use RipIt4Me for RipGuard and ArCCos-protected titles. unfortunately, I don't know which titles fall under that category, so I just went back to using DVD Decrypter by itself.

I would encode at a maximum width of 640 because the quality was better; encoding at 320 made the image look somewhat grungy.

Right now I've got the full Divx Converter suite, and they seem to work pretty well, even when I change the .divx file extension over to .avi.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Apparently this is because you're only supposed to use RipIt4Me for RipGuard and ArCCos-protected titles. unfortunately, I don't know which titles fall under that category, so I just went back to using DVD Decrypter by itself.
    Not that I'm aware of. I use RipIt4Me all the time even on home made disks which certainly contain no copy protection.
    Seems to me there is something wrong with how you are going about converting the resuts to Divx. Might be some setting in AutoGK is messing things up.

THe Zen Vision 30GB and W series are quite a bit different in spec than the Vision:M you have so conversion properties would be different.

Good to read that the Divx converter suite is working out though.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For my Zen Vision:W I use FairUse Wizard 2.5 http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.html
    It supports 480x272 resolution, so optimal sharpness on the Zen Vision:W. The LE edition limits to 700 Mb, but for my rip to 480x272 this was enough to get proper quality on Xvid. This was the only tooling I found that rendered my troublesome DVD to perfect picture and audio sync.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this to work well for free software. pretty good quality. Also, the site "One Man's Blog" was very helpful in getting to know all the pros and cons about Zen Vision W.

http://onemansblog.com/2006/12/22/shrink-dvds-to-play-on-ipod-laptop-or-portable-devices-for-free/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rosjha
    For my Zen Vision:W I use FairUse Wizard 2.5 http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.html
    It supports 480x272 resolution, so optimal sharpness on the Zen Vision:W. The LE edition limits to 700 Mb, but for my rip to 480x272 this was enough to get proper quality on Xvid. This was the only tooling I found that rendered my troublesome DVD to perfect picture and audio sync.
    What version of the codec are you using, and what settings?

I'm trying to set this up for my mother-in-law, and the FairUse Wizard is perfect because it's a one-step, easy to use tool. However, every video I've produced with it will not copy to the Zen. It says "The <filename.avi> file type is not supported on this device."

I've tried XviD, DivX 5.x, and DixX 4.x. I get the same error message every time. I can produce a nicely compressed output file and view it on my computer, but the Zen will simply not let me copy it.

It's infurating that the error message from the device is so useless. What the hell is "not supported" mean? Why? It can't be the extension. So what is it, Zen? The aspect ratio? The bitrate? Some setting in the codec? *sigh*

So, anyway, would you mind sharing the codec/settings that work for you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking at their site at supported file formats (I don't have one, but I might be able to be of assistance).

"The Creative ZEN can play XviD encoded files if these files are encoded as standard MPEG-4 Simple (SP) or Advanced Simple Profile without GMC"

"Make sure the AVI file has the audio track in a format supported by Creative ZEN Vision. Files with AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS sound will not play correctly on the Creative ZEN Vision, because the player does not support AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS decoding.

"Creative ZEN players support .MP3, WAV, and WMA audio format only"

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Turns out the files were fine, but if I try to drag and drop directly into the video folder via Explorer, it gives me that error message for some files.

If I drag the exact same file across to Zen Vision W Media Explorer, it works just fine. :/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got my ZVW, and everything is working great. I don't know if they upgraded the firmware and software, but no error messages here.
    The only Creative Software I installed was the Zen Vision W Media Explorer.
    I have tranferred videos that were encoded using AutoGK, iRiverter with the ZVW profile/plugin, CloneDVD Mobile - still in trial period but same as pay version, and StaxRip.
    StaxRip gives the best results.
    I have also transferred videos to the zvw through a CF card with no problems. One test video is 4200kbps bitrate and it transfers and plays through zvw Explorer, and the CF card.
    I use a fairly high bitrate; 1500-2000kbps and MP3 audio @ 192 or higher. A low bitrate just looks cheap, and with the CF option, I can leave the ZVW locked in my desk at work and just shuffle videos back and forth using the card. A brilliant idea on Creatives part.

I should note that even though WMP is integrated with my XP OS, I have never activated/installed it. It is crap and might be the cause for some of the problems people are experiencing.

Additionally, when people use AutoGK and check the DivX codec instead of Xvid, I believe it is DivX 6 which is not compatible with the zvw. Not only that, but Xvid is a much better codec. All of the videos I encoded were Xvid Codec except for the CloneDVD mobile which uses DivX 4/5.
    So far, the ZVW is far exceeding my expectations.
    RipIt4Me - DVDdecrypter - DVDShrink - StaxRip - AutoGK - iRiverter - AVI ReComp
    MuvAudio - ImgBurn - Paperless Printer - Nero6 Ultra
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading each reply, I'm still confused.
    I'm not a computer engineer - and don't pretend to know the lingo. I like my ZVW, and would like to watch dvds on it.
    Would someone please help me step by step instructions. It appears that I have to download to my HD on my laptop. I have download so many different softwares that my c drive is just about full.
    Can anyone simplify the process from dvd shelf (can it be 'copy protected'?) to ZVW - step by step - PLEASE!
    I would like to delete all the different software that I have downloaded for space and have only what is necessary.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote