VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need some advice please.
    I plan to transfer our 8mm and super 8mm films to mini DV and then to DVD. (I captured it years ago to VHS, but the quality is really not good)
    I have read about the steps to follow and it appears as if one should project on to a white piece of paper, the image size should be 6 to 8 inches. Frame speed for the projector should be 20FPS and for the camcorder 60FPS.
    My problems: I can set my projector to the fastest speed, but do not know the frame speed. I have a new Panasonic NV GS 250, but also do not know what the frame speed is and how to set it to 60FPS. I use a dark room and not a black box. The quality of the product is OK, not too sharp, but better than my VHS transfers, but the flicker is still too much.
    My questions:
    Should I use a black box?
    I have an old projector screen, should I rather use that?
    Is there a way to adjust the frame speed?
    How can I reduce the flicker? Is there perhaps a program to reduce flicker and to get the picture sharper?
    Any good tutorials available?

I use Motion DV from Panasonc to capture and edit my mini dv, TMPGEnc to encode, GUI for DVD authoring and DVD Shrink to finish off

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any advice please?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It appears the main thing to try to set your DV framerate to about 3 times the 8mm framerate. From this site:

http://www.dvdhomevideoeditor.com/ARTICLES/TUTORIAL_howto_trans_8mmfilm.htm

I would check the manual for your DV camera to see if there is a framerate adjustment mentioned. Or try to slow down your projector if all else fails.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, You need a mini dv which I believe you have. Not a Hi 8 or etc because of the flickering. But any way a good variable projector with 18/24 fps. I personally used my walls which are white but a projector is fine. there are two was to combat this, 1. Record off the Minidv. 2. Run it straight thru the computer using a good editing software, like adobe pre., Vegas etc. this is were you can adjust the colors etc. There are so wonderful information on this subject right here. But if you need additional free information try Super 8mm Filmmaking by Super 8 Man. He has some good information on transfer of 8mm and 16mm. Hopes this help.
    Quote Quote