VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been capturing several old vhs tapes of home videos to DV-AVI using the advc110 and the capturing tool that comes with Windows 7 (I guess it is associated with Windows Live Movie Maker). When I view the file info on any of these files using Windows it says the audio bit rate is 1024kbps and audio sample rate is 32khz (which isn't correct). However, I just downloaded VirtualDub, and it lists the correct 1536kbps and 48khz when I view the AVI audio information from within the program. Since the capture is happening over firewire and the advc110 is set to 48khz, that must be the true value...

So, would it be possible that the Windows capture utility writes the wrong header information on the file? If so, is there a good way to edit this information so that the correct values are stored? I took a segment of a file and did a direct stream copy in VirtualDub, and the resulting file showed the correct 48khz when viewing the file info through Windows. I assume that process is 0% loss in video/audio quality.

My plan is to burn the AVIs to blu ray discs for storing and sharing with family in the future, so I want to reduce the risk of problems. Will I run into problems playing on different devices or get poor audio quality if the header information in the file lists incorrect audio rates? That's my only concern. I'd rather not have to redo all these vhs tapes with different capturing software...I guess I could always do a direct stream copy of all these files in VirtualDub to get files with the correct information, but that'll take a long time, too, and I'm looking for a quicker method if you think I'll run into problems in the future.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What does MediaInfo and VLC(under Tools->Codec information) say?

Yep, the virtualdub process with direct stream copy is lossless. You can use a virtualdub batcher like http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubbatch/ to batch all, you save the project for one file in virtualdub and then load all avis in the batch tool and apply the project for them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct to set your ADVC-110 to 48KHz for DVD or Blu-Ray destination.

I haven't used Windows Live Movie Maker yet so can't explain the error.

Instead, I suggest you use WinDV for DV-AVI capture. Instructions here.
    http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/61/WinDV.aspx

The captured file will be DV video format with uncompressed 16 bit 48KHz PCM Stereo audio in an AVI wrapper. This DV-AVI file can be imported into most editing or DVD authoring programs.

PS: Baldrick's suggestion is an alternate method.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What does MediaInfo and VLC(under Tools->Codec information) say?

Yep, the virtualdub process with direct stream copy is lossless. You can use a virtualdub batcher like http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubbatch/ to batch all, you save the project for one file in virtualdub and then load all avis in the batch tool and apply the project for them.
    Thanks for the reply. Below is the information that VLC and MediaInfo display. The information appears correct (48kHz) through both of these programs. Do you know if these programs look at the file header information only or do they interpret the values? Since Windows 7 File Information Details shows 32kHz, maybe it is Windows 7 that is either reading the header wrong or doing an incorrect interpretation of the file it captured...

Worst comes to worse, my understanding is that the DV is "wrapped" in an AVI format. If I use direct stream copy on all of these files through VirtualDub, the only thing that would do is update the "wrapping" (apparently correctly whatever header inconsistency exists), and the actual content bits stay exactly the same?

VLC:
    Codec - PCM S16 LE (s16l)
    Sample rate: 48000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16

Media Info:
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format_Commercial_IfAny : DV
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 25.9 GiB
    Duration : 2h 8mn
    Overall bit rate : 28.9 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : DV
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
    Stream size : 25.9 GiB (100%)

Audio
    ID : 0-0
    Format : PCM
    Muxing mode : DV
    Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
    Last edited by newtotheworld; 21st Nov 2011 at 22:25.
    Quote Quote