VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All.. Been on here for a few days reading, reading and reading more. Just got around 5 VHS tapes needing transferred.

Here is the Hardware I have available:

->Toshiba SD-26VB DVDROM / VHS Recorder Combo
    ->WinTV PVR 150
    ->.ts File as card has h/w encoding on chip

I've transferred a couple of other VHS tapes which have come out relatively good (not looking for archival quality) but this tape has been a Cine > VHS transfer, done by a "conversion service" back in 1990, the tape which I'm attempting to convert onto a DVD disc now (then x264 for a backup).

As the sample file I've attached shows, there is severe colour issues and a flickering that is present in the original transfer, which I assume is hard embedded now in the VHS I'm copying over with above hardware.

I've got a Pioneer DVR-420H there that I could use for passing through but the other tapes have transferred without any major TBC required.

Would that help with the flickering? or am I trying to polish a turd?

I've got acess to TMPGEnc Authoring Works, Movavi Video Editor 14 and avidemux, anyone help with filters that may reduce the flickering?

Any ideas, thanks
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The first thing you should do is recapture that sequence with the capture device's proc amp adjusted to keep the bright peaks from being crushed. Then a deflickering filter might work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The first thing you should do is recapture that sequence with the capture device's proc amp adjusted to keep the bright peaks from being crushed. Then a deflickering filter might work.
    I'm not too up on this, what's a Proc Amp? I'm using the default WinTV software for capturing (v7)

Does that mean knock the Brightness down a notch or two?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by bar72; 10th Oct 2018 at 09:08. Reason: Added Info
    Quote Quote  
  4. The proc(essing) amp is the dialog that lets you adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, etc. while capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it's WinTV v7.02 and there's no option for adjustment in the configuration panel. All I got is Best, Better, Good, Fair. Any other software that can capture the video? I tried Virtual VCR but it doesn't find the audio input pin?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Does VirtualVCR give you access to the proc amp? You might be able to adjust the settings there then go back and capture with the Hauppauge software. If that doesn't work you can usually use GraphStudio to adjust the proc amp while the Hauppauge software is running. In GraphStudio add the video capture or video crossbar filter, then right click on the filter and select properties.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Superb jagabo.. VirtualVCR kept crashing but I've got the proc amp working in GraphEdit. Got Brightness and Contrast and Powerline (AntiFlicker) so I'll have a play about with the settings. Thanks again for the help
    Quote Quote