VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just bought a new camera. First one I have had with 4K video.

The question now arises do I set it for AVCHD. and limit myself to HD. FHD/50M/50p
    or use MP4 and 4K/100M/30p. or. 4K/100M/25p

If the latter I’m unclear on which to use.
    I’m in UK not US ... so some sources state to use 25p to avoid flicker issues from lights etc.
    Though others say to use 30p as that syncs better with 60Hz monitors.

Video I take will in the main be viewed on cumputer monitors ... occasionally on TVs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not really answer your Q. but some thoughts went through my mind (blame the beer)

I would, at first, do a few test shots at both 25 and 30 fps at 4k (why get such camera if you do not get its potential from it). But here is the important bit. Try the test vids on your PC to see if your graphics can handle 4K.

Also I thought, maybe wrongly, you needed a 4k tv to playback 4k video.

Back to the beer >> drat I have finished it
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will check on PC... seee what looks best
    Monitors are 60Hz but assume they handle othe rates OK.

On TV you are right it would need to be 4K ... I assume at some point I will have one.
    Sort of thinking that technology moves fwd ... I should record in highest quality I can ... the fact that source footage would be 4K ... doesn’t h8nder me as my NLE would render out for Blue Ray formats for current TV / player.

Thanks will check as you said .
    Pretty amazing what is built into the Lumix GX9, which a small mirrorless (non DSLR camera)
    Quote Quote  
  4. 25p or 30p will flicker like crazy whenever there is motion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So for action video I should stick with FHD/50M/50p. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could I take this a little further ...if I ignore 4K for action use ...

I will try both 50p and 60p on my monitor see how they perform.

However ignoring that aspect and assume for example that a frame rate of 50works fine .... would I be better using AVCHD FHD/28M/50p or MP4 FHD/28M/50p

If my understanding is right ... MP4 and AVCHD are the same base video codec, it is how it is containerised with different audio formats is the difference.
    Welcome advice which I should use.
    Last edited by Tafflad; 31st Mar 2018 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If those are your 2 choices: same size/bitrate, same base codec, same framesize, same framerate, I would take a look at mediainfo of each to see whether there is difference in level/profile. But I'm guessing not.

In that case, they are basically the same, and choice should be which is more straightforward & compatible with you edit workflow.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a samsung s8 does "4k" but encodes notionally in VFR not CFR ... which has relatively limited support across free video processing s/w - see what mediainfo says about your video files in each recording mode and suggest consider choosing something which has CFR if you're lucky. Does it say HDR (10-bit) ? If so it's currently another world of pain. The S8 says it does HDR but that's only a "marketing term" as it really only produces standard 8-bit SDR colours.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think workflow wise it makes no difference ... I would use AC3 for any BluRay discs, but AAC for any internet shared files.
    So maybe MP4 is better ..... but I will try some tests and look at file details.
    Quote Quote