VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm planning on buying a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle to capture xbox footage. I play at 1080p, which will be supported with future drivers. And before someone says, "Xbox is just upscaling to 1080p anyway, so turn down the resolution," I want a future-proof setup so I can game on the next generation of consoles without sacrificing quality. Anyway... That's kind of irrelevant.

Anywho...

Is it possible to downscale the captured video realtime using a program like Vegas Pro or Premiere? I want to play on my TV at 1080p, but really don't need that type of quality for the final video - so I'd like to scale the video down to 720p or so. Can this be done as the video is captured? Recording 1080p and rescaling manually is a pain, and I'd reduce the file size greatly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fmagreed2 View Post
    Is it possible to downscale the captured video realtime using a program like Vegas Pro or Premiere?
    No.

Most XBox360 games are 720p native or less.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. You'll also be hard pressed to find anything that can capture 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Alright, thanks for the responses.

Any elegant way to reduce the file size during capture? I'd like to play for a few hours and just let the thing run, then come back and keep/delete what's needed without having to spend an arm and leg on hard drives. Note that quality isn't a big issue for me on this project. The videos are ultimately going to be uploaded to the web.

If worst comes to worst... is there a way to split the capture into multiple files, say every 30 minutes or at a key press? I could write a script to take the files as they finish and downscale/compress them. It'd be obnoxious, but workable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you aware of all the Intensity Shuttle issues? Is your computer USB3 capable?

Wait a year for the issues to be sorted out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've done all the research on the hardware. It's just the software I need information about since I'm not familiar with the process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The BM Intensity boards come with an MJPEG codec that can compress the video while capturing. If it's like other MJPEG codecs I've used you can select the amount of compression (the more compression you use the worse the quality).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you cap to 1080p/29.97 MJPEG, the files will still be large. You will need to compress again later. The Hauppauge HD-PVR will cap 1080i or 720p to h.264 in hardware.

The other advantage to capturing 1280x720p is you can get all the 59.94 fps action. 1080p is limited to 29.97 fps.
    Last edited by edDV; 6th Dec 2010 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote