VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is a sensible maximum length of a svcd (to fir on one 80 min disk) I have just created a 55min and the quality is a bit poor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Between 40-45min will give you the maximum bit rate (hence quality) for SVCD on an 80min CD.

At 55min you are getting only about 1750 bps, which, as you say, is getting a bit low for good quality SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 (or 4) pass VBR will help with more movie per disk. CBR is definately out, and CQ has unpredictable size. You can try an xSVCD with a higher peak rate (2500-3000) and a minimum rate of 300, but your player needs to be tested first.

I wouldn't go more than 50 minutes, with 192k audio. If you are married to 1 disk/movie look at xSVCD and xVCD or kVCD options.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which is better for quality vbr or cbr
    Quote Quote  
  5. use kSvcd http://www.kvcd.net and you will get much better results using CQ not 2 pass vbr. For file size prediction you can use software, named Tok.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Look over to your left <---- click on "What is SVCD", "Comparisons" and then "Tools".
    I found this info very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. what are you using to make the svcd??? this makes a world of difference. I am able to get up to 60 minutes of svcd on 1 cd and it comes out not too bad, but i have the encoder settings at all high quality settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sukhoi53
    Which is better for quality vbr or cbr
    VBR will fit the most minutes per disk while retaining quality. High bitrate CBR is as good as VBR (maybe better), it just takes more disk space.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote