VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks. Been here before with a related topic, but my problem then was grabbing the footage. It seems now I can, as I purchased an old Canon Vixia HV30 from eBay that Windows can "see". I have two apps: HDV Split and WinDV.

The former captures fine, but saves .M2T files.

The latter "sees" the camera, but gives this error message: "Can't find DV output pin".

I want the files in a more universal standard like, say .MOV or .MP4. But HDV Split does not provide any other options for the file format.

WinDV is not able to grab the video, but it saves files in the more common .AVI format.

Any recommendations or suggestions? Would, e.g., Adobe Premiere help here?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since WinDV can't download DV (-AVI) files it appears that your tapes are in HDV format (HDVSplit downloads HDV [a variant of MPEG] files). HDVSplit merely "transfers" the video (and audio) data from the camera to your computer in HDV format, M2T. If you want your video in MP4 or MOV, you'll need to transcode/re-code the M2T files with a separate piece of software, which could be Premiere. There's probably free software that will do it as well.

In my experience, HDV is very easy to edit and, depending on your video editor, I'd suggest you edit in HDV/M2T then render out into MP4 or MOV.

The format that WinDV saves in is DV-AVI, not all that common these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    For winDV to detect the camcorder it has to be in DV mode not HDV and a reboot sometimes is required.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both. 'Preciate those responses.
    Quote Quote