VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could you, please, help me in adding two seconds to both the beginning and end of my video clips! I tried to cut an original blank clip, and join it to the video; still, did not work. When the video plays, the beginning and end do not appear blank, rather they seem as a video and not absolute black! What should I do?
    Last edited by prowesse; 28th Aug 2010 at 11:06.
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to supply more information. What type of files are you dealing with? What software?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is Tom And Jerry's fourteenth episode in avi format. I actually need to add two seconds to the start and end of this episode. I tried to create a black Bitmap Image and attach it to the beginning of the movie and to the end by Windows Movie Maker. But Movie Maker Encodes the new file in unpleasat way. Could you recommend a better software and the way to add the two seconds! I thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I also tried to join a two-second splitted black movie to the main movie by Boilsoft Video Joiner. But the start and the end do not appear as absolutely black. They appear as a blank movie, and it is obvious that they are attached.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I need to attach a blank space to the start and to the end of my movie, and this space should be blank. It is better to give me a way that accomplishes this mission without ENCODING please!
    Quote Quote  
  6. what kind of avi ? use mediainfo (view=>text) . Encode in virtualdub the same characteristcs blank video (including audio, sample rate, dimensions, fps) , then you should be able to append . If you use smart render and the video is mpeg4 (xvid or divx) , you should be able to only re-encode those ends
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would use VirtualDub:

If your video has a blank, black, silent section you could cut and paste it to the start and end of the video (you could paste a 1/2 second section 4 times to make a 2 second clip). The blank section you are pasting must start with a key frame. You can tell if a frame is a key frame by the "[K]" that appears in the timeline display area at the bottom of the window when on that frame.

Open the file with File -> Open. Select Video -> Direct Stream Copy (so nothing will be reencoded). Use the slider and keyboard arrows to navigate to a black key frame (if you hold down shift while navigating the program will only stop on key frames). Press the Mark-in button (or select Edit -> Set Selection Start). Use the right arrow key to move two seconds later (for example, in a 25 fps video move 50 frames forward). Press the Mark-out button (or select Edit -> Set Selection End). Select Edit -> Copy, then Edit -> Clear Selection. Now navigate to the start of the video and Select Edit -> Paste. Navigate to the end of the video and select Edit -> Paste. Select File -> Save as AVI to create a new file.

If your video doesn't have a suitable blank section you can create one. Open the AVI file. ( This will assure that the file you are going to create has the same frame size and frame rate as your source.) Mark a silent 2 second section with the Mark-in and Mark-out buttons (or the Edit menu equivalents). Use Video -> Compression... and set the output compression codec to the same codec used in your source. Set the compression settings to settings similar to your source. Select Video -> Filters... to bring up the filter dialog. Press Add button. Locate the Brightness/Contrast filter and double click on it. Move the Brightness slider all the way to the left. Press OK, OK. Back at the main VirtualDub Window you should see the output window is now black. Select File -> Save as AVI, use a new name like BLACK.AVI.

You now have a 2 second black clip that has the same properties as your source. All you have to do is append them together. Select Video -> Direct Stream Copy. Select File -> Open AVI and open BLACK.AVI. Select File -> Append AVI file and select your main video. Select File -> Append AVI and append BLACK.AVI again. Finally select File -> Save as AVI and save a new file.
    Quote Quote