VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I'd had this cheap Chromebook for about a year: Samsung Chromebook 3 XE500C13-S01US 2 GB RAM 16GB SSD 11.6" Laptop. It's a refurb that cost me less than $80 and I bought it primarily to use a a comic book reader (the 11.6" screen is perfect for comics), but it too clunky because of the attached keyboard. I also planned to use as cheap media player or a portable game emulation machine. Well, it doesn't support .iso and it's to slow to play Blu-Ray MKVs reliably. The port of VLC for it stinks. Emulator support is poor. And the interface is clunky (it's not a touchscreen). I've tried installing a Linux distro on it, but Linux doesn't fix it's slowness and every other boot has issues as it tries to boot to Chrome OS.

Every time I think of selling it for cheap or give it to a thrift store, I stop and think there must be something useful I can do with it. Is there, or should I just give it up? I have a couple of 7" tablets, a 8" Windows transformer tablet/keyboard combo and switched to a cheap 11.6" Win 10 transformer tablet for my comic book reader.
    Quote Quote  
  2. sell it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which one is it?
    Link to specs, photo of unit?

What about the Android OS?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use it as a "safe" disposable web browser. That's all it's really designed to do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-XE500C13-K01US-S01US-Refurbished/dp/B072J8ZNX6

Thank you for the suggestions. I've been keeping it around just in case I want to learn about Chrome OS, but that need hasn't come up. I've thought of everything suggested so far, it's nothing my other tablets/transformers can't do better. And I don't really want to sell it because I feel kind of bad that any price I ask will be too much for what it can do. I'm leaning towards donating it right now.

I was prompted to start this thread because I've been seeing a Chromebook commercial that touts its long battery life, which it seems is the only real advantage to Chromebooks now with cheap tablets and laptops.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I usually donate my old hardware to schools, charity or gift it to friends with children who say they'll use the machine.
    (I usually wipe the harddrive and install a clean linux on the system,..)
    Even old hardware usually is good enough or children to learn programming or older folks to simply get started with computing in general.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote