VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Bought a Realistic 44-233 for $25, it can't erase analog or digital 8mm tapes but it did introduce static lines and pixelation. These device also can only be turned on for a minute or two because it gets too hot and have to wait 15-30 mins to cool down. I have not tried the commercials ones yet because they are expensive, over $100..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the cheap one was probably intended to be used on vhs tapes. metal type tapes are harder to disrupt the magnetic field on.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, D8 and Mini DV tapes have higher magnetic coercivity than VHS and Beta.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercivity
    Quote Quote  
  4. Would a strong magnet work for erasing metal video tapes? https://www.apexmagnets.com/news-how-tos/strong-magnets-a-quick-way-to-erase-tapes/

Do you know any bulk tape eraser that will work for metal video tapes?

I found out Realistic 44-233A is 8.5A while 44-233 is 6A, it claims to be able to erase metal audio tape, can it also erase metal video tape?
    Last edited by digicube; 29th Apr 2019 at 19:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to have a Realistic bulk eraser for my reel-to-reel tapes, but like you've seen, at most would mess up the control track of a regular video cassette and do absolutely nothing for a ED-Beta metal tape. Not only is the magnetic field not strong enough to do a proper erase, but even the 1/8" clearance between the tape and outside of the cassette case is enough to reduce the magnetic field even more. Remember, the tape is directly touching the erase head (stationary or flying).

Also, are you sure you're using the eraser properly, i.e. you have to turn it on before moving it towards the tape and slowly (as in multiple seconds) move it away from the tape before you turn it off. It's the increasing and decreasing of the magnetic field that does the erasing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    Would a strong magnet work for erasing metal video tapes?
    It may erase tapes but it may also introduce unwanted problem constant magnetization that may pass to other components - it is recommended to use alternate and gradually fading (from max to null) magnetic field...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Also, are you sure you're using the eraser properly, i.e. you have to turn it on before moving it towards the tape and slowly (as in multiple seconds) move it away from the tape before you turn it off. It's the increasing and decreasing of the magnetic field that does the erasing.
    No, the alternating magnetic field "erases" the tape. The reason you move it away slowly is to prevent leaving the tape strongly magnetized in a particular orientation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bought a Data Strike 12A eraser, took a whole minute for the tape to be unwatchable but not completely erased and the eraser can only operate a minute every 30 mins. A second pass did completely erase the tape, so I can erase 1 tape per hour. I probably need a 15A or higher eraser.
    Last edited by digicube; 5th May 2019 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote