VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the subject says. Im doing small movie quizes and as the asian cinema is becoming increasingly popular I would love to rip some scenes but keep the subtitles.

Currently I use SmartRipper 2.41 for the actual rip and then Dgmpegdec for the sound. After this I use Tempgenc to actually rip the scene to m2v and wav.

Is there a way to retain the subs in my process or do I need additional software? In the end I need the m2v files so if I can avoid converting to say avi and then back I would be more than happy.

Thanks
    /Kev
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the subs are in the VOB's subpicture container.

If you want the subs in the file, it'll have to be hardsub'ed (i.e. incorporated into the frame), which will require re-encoding, instead of straight ripping.

If you want switchable subs, then it wouldn't be m2v any more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you talk about is exactly how I want it. I want it hardcoded into the clip not switchable. Sorry if I have been unclear, Im a beginner in the use of correct terms.

When I rip the scene the subs should be in it.

/Kev
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Search for "hardsub" in guides should give you some ideas...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll have to reencode the video, adding the subtitles using a filter.
    If you want a m2v with hardcoded subs, you basically rip the subs to sub/idx with VobSub, load the VOB in VirtualDubMod, use the right filter for adding VobSub subtitles and frameserve to an mpeg encoder (TMPGEnc) and encode to m2v. You could also use AviSynth instead of VirtualDubMod.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi..
    I would go for a program called projectx for the demuxing of the vob files. Use Dvd decrypter to get
    the vob files to your hard drive and then use projectx to cut out the scens you want.

When you demux the cuts you will get three files video, sound and subtitel.

If you want to use them on a dvd use GUI for dvdauthor and you will get them all together...

And there is no need for re-encoding

All programs are free...

stars...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That won't make for hardcoded subs...
    I want it hardcoded into the clip not switchable.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes he wants that but.....

But what is he goning to do with the final .m2v file ???

mux it togheter with the sound to get a mpg system file or is he going to put the .m2v file into a DVD...

I see his prolblem like this he wants the sub but cannot get them togethre with the clips because the
    programs he uses extract the whol sub, not only the subs for the clips. So there for he must hard encode the
    subs into the movie and then cut out the clips...

If he is going to use his clips in a dvd, projectx will solve his prolblem ....

regads stars....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the answers everyone. I have been so busy working that I havent had the time to sit down and experiement.

To answer what I do with the m2v file once it's done is this. I use Sony DVD architect to create a menu system that I integrate my clips into. Different categories under different menus with questions regarding the clips. Say I have a category named carchases I have 4 different clips from movies that have high speed chases and then people have a set of questions they need to answer while they watch the clip.

I'll try your sugestions and get back to you all.

/K
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried the sugestion with projectX and Gui for dvdarchitect. The problem is that I allready have a DVD authoring tool that I will continue to use (paid good money for it ) Also I have an audio sync problem when I tried the files that I produced with projectX.

So the end result I need is a .wav and a .m2v file. In the m2v file the subtitles must be hardcoded. I'll experiement more with projectX since Stars said that I could hard code the subs from it.

Ok I experimented some more.
    I can't seem to find the right option in projectX to add the subtitles. In my Stream info I recieved from DVD ripper I can see that the subtitles is in the VOBs somewhere:

Stream[001] X=[[0xE0] Video NTSC 720x480] [PTS 846:53:29] [Delay 0 ms] [@1] []
    Stream[002] X=[[0x80] Audio Chinese AC3(1Ch) 48kHz Normal Caption] [PTS 846:50:00] [Delay -209 ms] [@14] [128 kb/s]
    Stream[003] 0=[[0x81] Audio English AC3(1Ch) 48kHz Normal Caption] [PTS 846:50:00] [Delay -209 ms] [@15] [128 kb/s]
    Stream[004] 0=[[0x82] Audio English AC3(2Ch) 48kHz Directors Comments] [PTS 846:49:28] [Delay -241 ms] [@16] [192 kb/s]
    Stream[005] X=[[0x20] Subtitle English ] [PTS 850:10:04] [Delay 11795 ms] [@4834] []
    Stream[006] X=[[0x??] Others] [] [] [] []

Still can't find them with projectX. I have recieved the following files from DVD ripper:
    vts_02_0.ifo (70kb)
    vts_02_1.vob (0kb)
    vts_02_3.vob (308MB)
    vts_02_INFO.txt (2kb)

The only file containing image data is the vts_02_3.vob but could the subs be in another of the files? When I double click on the file in ProjectX I can see it containing mpeg and ac3 information but no sub.

/K
    Quote Quote