VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now I'm running a peer to peer (3 desktops and 1 laptop) and I want to start running a server environment. I have an older GATEWAY TBR2 PIII 450 that is just lying around that I was thinking of using as a server. Although it doesn't fit the recommended specs, it is well over the minimum requirements. In your opinion, what are the major draw backs of using a desktop as a server? Not just the desktop that I mentioned, but any desktop.

I do understand the way to go would be just to purchase a dedicated server, which I plan to do in the future, but right now is just not in the budget.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "server" is such a broad and vague term anymore.
    what kind of server? What exactly will you be using it to do?
    Print server? Media server? Web server?
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, actually I asked for the draw backs of using it as a server of any type. Does the pc's specs allows it to be used as each of the three you named or all three? I wouldn't be to concerned about the print server right now, but I would be interested in using it as a File and/or web server.
    Quote Quote  
  4. How many clients would you have connecting to it at any given time? And how would they connect (ethernet, wireless, remotely etc)? Which server software (or even OS)?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File server yes but is it electrical power efficient to be running this 24x7?

Explain your file server needs. Want to gang up old small drives? Want to run a Linux Samba server for Windows*?

Web serving depends on many things starting with upload bandwidth for your current internet connection. Again this old PC is going to be drawing power and adding to your air conditioning load 24x7.

* I solved this problem by copying all old small drives to one 500GB drive that sleeps unless accessed. I have several other 200-500GB drives that I only power up when needed.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me state this will be running at my home as a hobby/hands-on. I want to use window server 2003. I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop. I had plans on using a 500GB HDD. This will be an ethernet network.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eyecan'tcode
    Let me state this will be running at my home as a hobby/hands-on. I want to use window server 2003. I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop. I had plans on using a 500GB HDD. This will be an ethernet network.
    You could do this by sharing a drive from one of your active PC's. Why do you need this "server" running?

If you just want to simulate a business network, go for it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. It will be so slow as to be barely usable. Likely a unit that old won't support a large hard drive. For a unit just to host and share files, XP pro would be a better choice, or W2k. Pretty close to a total waste of time and effort, that thing is a doorstop.

I've had many customers literally throw away much newer units, I've got a couple of 1.4 - 1.8 Ghz units sitting in the garage heading for the dumpster right now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Invite a few close friends over and say some kind words of remembrance for that old dog. Then put it out of its misery and bury it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The processor speed keeps it from being a RIP server or similar encoding-type slave (streaming media for instance). The PCI bus would be the deciding factor of making it a file server. I'm guessing it doesn't have onboard GbE so you'd want a dual-GbE NIC to support plenty of bandwidth on your network (of course you'd also need a GbE switch). You would also probably want a PCI-X slot to support a multi-port storage controller and plenty of room for HDDs. Pack it full of memory (up to the board/OS limit) so that it can buffer more data for the NIC. File servers don't use much CPU so your P3 is fine.

Since file servers are often meant to run headless you can set it up then move it to a utility room or closet to isolate the noise/heat. You just need network cabling and power present then you can simply remote into it for maintenance.

I still use 9-year old Tyan Tiger MP as my multimedia server. It can still hold its own against some current economy platforms in fact. I'll probably continue to use it until it dies but it will gradually decrease its profile in my network to less important roles as that day approaches.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it was just a thought. I won't throw it away though; I'll just put a hdd in it and give it to someone I know who needs pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a 366 celeron, 128M ram, 20Gig HD for my ftp/basic html server. It does the job more than adequately as a LAMP server.

When browsing the php-javascript pages, I notice no difference from your average web page speed. Upload (download to you) speeds are consistent with my max upload.

Unless you're running a business, 10-year-old equipment will work just fine. Hell, I was running a server off my (200Mhz) Dreamcast for a bit, and even that ran smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have a lightning fast Samba file server running Ubuntu Linux (7.10) on an AMD 2.66GHz. 2GB of RAM. I have six PCs accessing it. Since this is the home environment, usually it is not being hammered by everyone at the same time.

Edit: After reading the above post, I think I will move my server over to a 700MHz machine I have sitting around. I've suspected for a while that it was overpowered for a server of this nature. And besides, I can use that 2.66GHz for something else.

Darryl
    Quote Quote