VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good morning

For those who know the subject please explain what is the real difference between these two programs.

I know Vidcoder uses HandBrake as its encoding engine.

but, both use FFmpeg or libav ?

Someone could explain this point specifically.

Thank you all very much for your answers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder tends to be less troublesome when cropping or resizing, especially with Anamorphic content. Other than that they should have access to the same x264/x265 and everything else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder interface is a little more straight forward - I was able to teach a friend who is not particularly computer literate how to use it, but had no success with Handbrake. I agree with comments by KarMa
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. As I understand it Vidcoder is an alternate GUI for Handbrake's encoding engine. Handbrake's encoding engine uses libav. libav uses libx264, libx265, and many other open source codecs.

Also note that libav forked off of ffmpeg in 2011. I believe Handbrake used ffmpeg before that date (and probably for a while afterward, until libav matured).
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Oct 2019 at 09:02.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As I understand it Vidcoder is an alternate GUI for Handbrake's encoding engine. Handbrake's encoding engine uses libav. libav uses libx264, libx265, and many other open source codecs.

Also note that libav forked off of ffmpeg in 2011. I believe Handbrake used ffmpeg before that date (and probably for a while afterward, until libav matured).

To use a single program for this whole process,

-Index a video (DVD , Bluray , Etc)
    -create a script in Avisynth, with Filters , etc
    -Encode in x265 and x264 ,etc
    -Convert Audio
    -Mux Video & audio in .mkv or mp4, etc,

All in one process without having to use several other programs in the process.

The idea is to be able to do everything in one program.

From my personal experience I found these programs:

1 - Megui (NVenc, CUDA not supported)
    2 - StaxRip (it's very good but has a lot of bugs)
    3 - Hybrid ( The interface is not friendly and has bugs)

Then there are many other programs that work integrally in the process but do not have many configuration options, very limited.

The program that is more complete is Staxrip, the bad thing that has many bugs, things that can be tolerated.

Does anyone else know any other option ?
    Last edited by Hippie_forever; 1st Oct 2019 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. A Batch File! Never fails unless you write a mistake, never needs maintenance unless you write a mistake in the command line or want to update a new option. I usually hate CLI apps but I can copy and paste very well and it works great! I even have an addon to notepad++ that enables me to right click within the batch file and run it, without going to my file manager and double clicking the .bat file. I was thinking about writing my own GUI encoder again but why when I have batch? All these encoders are all command line driven anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Steps 3, 4, and 5 can be done at one time after feeding your AviSynth script into RipBot264. I give it AviSynth scripts and WAV audio to create MP4 (or MKV). AAC audio and x264 (or x265 if you prefer) video. No bugs of which I'm aware.

I don't trust any of them to Index or create my scripts for me. And surely you can create your own, right? Just create a few 'template' scripts for your own use by studying what MeGUI or StaxRip show you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hippie_forever: VidCoder uses Handbrake engine into a different GUI . If you look among its files, you' ll discover hb.dll . It's the main HandBrake DLL .

I use batch files (using either HandBrakeCLI.exe or Ffmpeg.exe)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike X; 23rd Feb 2020 at 00:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am another who prefers the GUI of VidCoder to Handbrake; although personally I still prefer BD Rebuilder for encoding anything as all the hard work as far as encoding settings is already done for me.
    Quote Quote