VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dual-layer DVD burners for PC's have been out for some months now. Anybody heard anything on dual layer DVD desktop recorders? I'm ready to buy a desktop DVD recorder to replace my VCR, but I'd rather go with dual layer technology if it's coming pretty soon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None show up in a search of the DVD Recorders list on this site. One thing to note, there is no dual-layer rewritable media. So you're out about $10 a piece for write once media. Ouch!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It might be a while yet before DL standalones appear. I would certainly wait until the media was much cheaper before diving into that.

It might be wise to wait anyways. DVD-R DL writers aren't even available yet. But when they do come out, it'll likely be better than the +R DL which I think was rushed to market before all the bugs were out of it. The DVD Forum (DVD-) is more methodical and careful than the +RW Alliance, and it might be better to wait for a DVD-R DL standalone
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's a nice idea though, plus DL drives are plenty cheaper now then SL drives were when recorders came out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just burned a verbatim dual layer 4X disc. i backed my copy of "A Concert for George", a great concert by the way, and the burn was flawless. i used DVD decryptor to rip audio TS and video TS folders. then used nero 6 burning rom and choose dvd video as the option. i then dragged my video ts files to the left. cliked burn, it burned at 4X, took 24 minutes, played like a champ and scanned perfect with nero dvd speed scan. keep in mind i know the cost is still prohibited. but, when you get the disk for free, and back up one of your favorites, it is good!!

sorry if i hi jacked a thread or made a post in the wrong forum
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Philips DVDR740/17 mentions recording to DL media. I haven't a clue as to it's availability or where it would be available.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?productId=DVDR740_17_US_C...CSHQNHKFSESI5P
    Quote Quote