VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I compiled a list of North American Digital8 camcorders with the analog passthrough feature when I was looking for one. There may be a few more; if you know of one let me know. The key words in the manuals seem to be "signal convert" while in their marketing they use terms like "analog-to-digital pass-through".

Note: This list applies only to North American (NTSC) models. The foreign PAL variants with "E" on the end of the model name (for Europe) differ due to import taxes (thanks Richard_G). Any other variants from other regions of the world may also differ.

Models with Pass-through

1. DCR-TRV240
    2. DCR-TRV340
    3. DCR-TRV740
    4. DCR-TRV840
    1. DCR-TRV350
    1. DCR-TRV460
    1. DCR-TRV480 (no S-Video)
    Models WITHOUT pass-through which are sometimes claimed to have it (non-exhaustive)
    1. DCR-TRV260
    2. DCR-TRV280
    3. DCR-TR7000
    Note regarding the model numbers

Sony's model numbers worked like this... DCR-TRVabc
    a = higher number was more expensive / fancier feature set for that year's range of models
    b = this number plus 1998 is the release year
    • The first year's models were from 1999, so b=1, so DCR-TRV110, etc.
    • The 2005 model year breaks this pattern. It should be the 7th generation, but is numbered as the "8 series".
    c = always 0 for the American models?
    Last edited by Brad; 25th Apr 2021 at 21:09. Reason: Added "List of" to thread title; 2021-04-12 clarity re: regional variation; 04-13 manual HOTLINKS, better formatting, explanation of model #s
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think PAL camcorders with passthrough are pretty rare, if they exist at all. There is a reason why but I can't remember. I know there's PAL DV walkmans, namely GV-D200E and GV-D800E which can be used for this purpose, and also include TBC and DNR (don't know how effective).

For NTSC, isn't there an issue with black level when using this method though?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's only the high end PAL ones that have passthrough, most of the consumer level camcorders don't. The reason is down to the import tax applied to them. The tax applied to a video recorder is higher than that applied to a camcorder. As a camcorder with passthrough has a video input, it can be used as a video recorder as well as a camcorder. Very few consumers that buy a camcorder will ever use the feature so Sony had it disabled on the PAL models to keep the import tax and hence the retail price down. No point in selling something at a higher price than an equivalent from their competitors with a feature that 99% of customers are never going to use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Richard_G Thanks for the detailed explanation, that's exactly what I recall reading about. Do you know if those high-end models provide any stabilization features on analog input?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No idea. I've got a VX2000E which has passthrough as standard and a DCR-TR8000E with passthrough enabled with an external widget (something you used to be able to buy to enable it on PAL versions that didn't have it as standard). There is no mention of TBC in the manual for either. I've also got a pair of VX1000E camcorders but even they didn't have passthrough.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I compiled a list of Digital8 camcorders with the analog passthrough feature when I was looking for one. There may be a few more; if you know of one let me know. The key words in the manuals seem to be "signal convert" while in their marketing they use terms like "analog-to-digital pass-through".

This is for NTSC. The PAL variants with "E" on the end of the model name may or may not be the same.

Pass-through

DCR-TRV120
    DCR-TRV320 (same manual for both)
    DCR-TRV720
    DCR-TRV820 (same manual for both)

DCR-TRV230
    DCR-TRV330
    DCR-TRV530 (same manual for these three)
    DCR-TRV730
    DCR-TRV830 (same manual for both and the 828, which doesn't seem to exist in NTSC form)

DCR-TRV240
    DCR-TRV340
    DCR-TRV740
    DCR-TRV840

DCR-TRV350

DCR-TRV460

DCR-TRV480 (no S-Video)

No pass-through but sometimes claimed to (non-exhaustive)

DCR-TRV260
    DCR-TRV280
    DCR-TR7000
    You are wrong, DCR-TRV230 doesn't support passthrough....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JimTheGreek View Post
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    [...]This is for NTSC. The PAL variants with "E" on the end of the model name may or may not be the same.
    Pass-through
    [...]

DCR-TRV230
    You are wrong, DCR-TRV230 doesn't support passthrough....
    Page 74 of the US manual confirms that I'm correct with regard to the NTSC version.

I changed the original post to be more clear. Added color-coding, bolding, and more information (gleaned from the other posts in this thread).
    Last edited by Brad; 11th Nov 2021 at 10:17. Reason: Removed my venting at the digital "ghost" of JimTheGreek
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This thread has been a great source of information for me, thank you very much @Brad.

I was in the market for a PAL camcorder with analog/digital pass-through, and based on the information I found here I was able to look through various online manuals fairly quickly and determine which PAL Sony Digital8 camcorders support signal conversion. Here's the non-exhaustive info I compiled and perhaps it helps someone else in the future.

PAL models that support signal conversion:

PAL models that do not support signal conversion:
    My particular use case is for digitizing content from a connected VHS video recorder through the camcorder's DV/Firewire pass-through, as well as be able to digitize my father's library of old Video8 home video tapes.
    Last edited by Deichbruch; 30th Dec 2022 at 06:32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys, so this list of camcorders with analog passthrough... does that mean Audio/Video IN? Does this mean the camcorder can act like a recording deck? You can input source from computer, TV, dvd player, etc., and record onto the 8mm tape? I know my question may be a little strange. Most people want to digitize their 8mm tapes, but I'm trying to figure out a way to record onto them. Hope someone can chime in.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    Hello Guys, so this list of camcorders with analog passthrough... does that mean Audio/Video IN? Does this mean the camcorder can act like a recording deck? You can input source from computer, TV, dvd player, etc., and record onto the 8mm tape? I know my question may be a little strange. Most people want to digitize their 8mm tapes, but I'm trying to figure out a way to record onto them. Hope someone can chime in.
    You can, but note that Digital8 models can only record in digital mode even if they can play back analog tapes.

So using these models, you can make a Digital8 recording from AV input to 8mm tape.

If you want a camcorder that can record analog from AV input, Google "Hi8" "Recording video or TV programs" -Digital8 for results where this phrase appears in Sony manuals.

Here's an example from the manual for CCD-TRV87, CCD-TRV67/TRV17/TRV37/TRV57. Of those 5 models, only the bolded one supports input.

My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Brad! That's very helpful! Can you clarify a few things?

1. When you say the Digital8 models can only record in digital mode, that means I have to buy the 8mm tapes specified for digital 8, correct?
    2. Whereas, the CCD-TRV87, I can buy regular 8mm tapes?
    3. Also, will all digital 8 models have this A/V input? I just asked someone on eBay selling a DCR-TRV820, and the seller says there is no A/V in. Wondering if the seller could be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    When you say the Digital8 models can only record in digital mode, that means I have to buy the 8mm tapes specified for digital 8, correct?
    Read this: Differences Between 8mm Tapes including comments. TL;DR: tape quality is important for Hi8, less so for Digital8 as long as bits are not being lost. I just recorded digital on regular 8-mm tape - no problems.

Whereas, the CCD-TRV87, I can buy regular 8mm tapes?
    It is a Hi8 camcorder, the way it is meant to work is that you need higher quality tape to record in Hi8 mode. OTOH, all 8-mm is metal, either MP or ME, so I don't know whether the difference between basic 8-mm tape and higher-grade Hi-8 is significant. AFAIK, 8-mm cassettes have detection holes, so supposedly you cannot record in Hi8 mode onto a regular 8-mm tape, but from what I've read you can make a hole to trick the camcorder into thinking it is a better tape.

You can see I am not a power user of 8-mm format

Also, will all digital 8 models have this A/V input? I just asked someone on eBay selling a DCR-TRV820, and the seller says there is no A/V in. Wondering if the seller could be wrong.
    What stops you from searching for an operating manual for a particular model?
    Quote Quote