VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have been looking for a solution, even purchased couple of applications online to solve it but still stuck at this point.

Long way short; I have a 980 GB .MOV file and I am trying to burn it on a Blu-Ray as a movie, I tried it with Sony application; It isn't even rendering. When I change some options it sometimes renders but gave an error message at the end of the process. I also tried Ulead, it writes the data but with very low picture quality. No matter what I did I haven't been able to got a good picture quality. The Sothink application was the closest one amongs all; I got a perfect picture quality but a problem with the sound synchronization. I thought it might be because of the sound codes installed by some other applications, so uninstalled all codes and left the MOV codec, but yet, nothing different as an outcome...

May be some of you had such experiences and hoping you to at least share your ideas what could the problem be ? Could it be the size ? Is 980 GB too much to deal with ? or could it be a codec clash or something like that ?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1TB File are you sure ? a dual layer Blu-ray disk is only 50GB
    what was the source of the file ? what is its running time
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  3. First step is to re-encode to something that will fit on the media, best to pick a compatible codec. Don't bother to burn until this is done successfully.

Are you sure on those size numbers? 980 MB would seem far more likely than 980 GB, though this does not really change the essential problem. Re-encode is necessary unless PC playback only is acceptable, using the disk as simple data storage. That would assume the size is a misprint.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    980 GB does seem impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Assuming it was truly 980GB, perhaps the best solution is to find something that can either:
    (1) break the file into smaller chunks
    (2) let you select a timeframe from a timeline on the video, then you can convert a 'chunk' of video at a time

Item #1 may be necessary if your file really is that big, as I doubt most consumer level apps and/or free apps are used to handling files of that size. Break off a piece and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responds.

Well, the file is 980 GB, just wanted to confirm. No typos. It is a 110 min movie file with very high quality shot.
    And better to mention; File got a V210 codec.

@Nelson37: You mean to convert it to a different extension ? If so, I just need it to be in HD format without loosing any picture quality. I haven't been able to convert it with noticable quality loss.

@jg0001: I thought that way you mentioned but I am able to burn it to the disc with high picture quality as mentioned with sothink but when I do it the sound goes crazy in synchronization.

Just to clarify that disk has no problems hardware wise as I am able to burn any other media or data.
    Quote Quote  
  7. When you have been able to convert this file, did it take several full days? Have never seen, or even heard of, any video file or any file of any kind with that kind of size, in general usage. Should take a LOONG time to even load into a program. Like hours.

You do not convert to a different extension, you convert to a different file type. Different file types often have different extensions, but not always. MPG1 and MPG2 both end in ".mpg", many types end in ".avi". For Blu-Ray in a standalone player, there are only a few acceptable filetypes. For PC playback from a data disk, you just have to shrink it to about 5% of its current size. This is going to involve a loss in quality.

Apparently this is basically an uncompressed Quicktime file. One solution offered was to use Quicktime pro to convert to uncompressed AVI. Hope you have some serious HD storage space.

This appears to be a professional format used in commercial applications, due to that and the ungodly size you are going to have a hard time converting it at all, to convert with minimal quality loss may well be impossible. Loss of audio synch seems to be a common problem.

I think you need Edtv on this one, maybe Johnny Malaria. Not too many folks here are likely to have had experience with such a monstrosity.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are looking for a good h.264 converter to compress your file. You could try free software like Ripbot264 to try convert the mov to blu-ray/avchd with h264 video.

Please also post the details from the mov. Video and audio codec, resolution, etc. Use mediainfo and open the mov and see what it says.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here's a doom9 suggestion from a thread there.

I recently had a few of these given to me by the kid at work that has a mac, we were editing tv spots for our business , 30 seconds was over 1GB

solution was to use QT pro and convert to uncompressed avi

additional files needed were
    (BlueFishCodec.qtx)
    (QuickTime.qts)
    (QuickTimeVR.qtx)
    copied to C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTComponents Folder
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And do you want a blu-ray video that works on blu-ray players? or just the video on blu-ray?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oghss
    Long way short; I have a 980 GB .MOV file and I am trying to burn it on a Blu-Ray as a movie, I tried it with Sony application; It isn't even rendering. When I change some options it sometimes renders but gave an error message at the end of the process. I also tried Ulead, it writes the data but with very low picture quality. No matter what I did I haven't been able to got a good picture quality. The Sothink application was the closest one amongs all; I got a perfect picture quality but a problem with the sound synchronization. I thought it might be because of the sound codes installed by some other applications, so uninstalled all codes and left the MOV codec, but yet, nothing different as an outcome...
    i did some digging and ran across these links:

http://www.fourcc.org/codecs.php

http://www.aja.com/products/xena/

as you will note the v210 codec (i'm not sure it's right to call it a codec) is an uncompressed video format supported by the video adapter linked to above. i am a bit perplexed as to why it's in a .mov container when it's evidently captured using a card that's windows oriented, but that's besides the point.

since it's uncompressed, i don't see why you would need a codec (COmpressor/DECompressor) to play it back, try a simple avisynth script, and see if that let's you load it into an encoder, or better yet, try mpeg streamclip, the .mov extension indicates that it's targeted to mac users, as does all the available software on Aja's site for working with said files, perhaps software that has it's origins on the mac platform will do the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Nelson37 : Yea it took around 28 hours, even when the Sony Vegas application rendered it once in around 30 hours. I would be OK with minimal piture quality loss at this desperate point if the sound synchronization is ok. As for the uncompressed AVI option; I think I ve tried that and I wasn't even able to play the movie when I converted it. Thanks for the information though, appreciated it.

@Baldrick : I ll have a look at the file with the Media info application and will paste the outcome here. Will have a look at the RipBot264 as well. Thanks. FYI: I need the blu ray as a playable disc on blu-ray players.

@deadrats : I have no experience with Avisynth script or Mpeg streamclip, or even heard of, I ll have a look at those. Thanks.

It seems size could be a problem as it is not so common to work with such sizes but I mean how do the commercial companies or film producers deal with such files, I mean there has to be an application or at least a way to follow. Thanks for your useful inputs, hopefully I ll work this out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think the commercial operators on files of this type would likely have it broken down into scenes that they would work on, rather than one massive file.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The uncompressed AVI solution was to have a different source to render from, this was suggested to avoid audio de-synch.

It was suggested that you would need some Serious Hardware to play either the original file, or the uncompressed AVI, due to bitrate considerations.

However, once the uncompressed AVI was re-compressed into something else, and h.264 would seem to be the only viable candidate, bitrate was substantially reduced and playback requirements were lowered.

So the suggested workflow would seem to be - convert to standard, uncompressed AVI, re-compress with h.264, then play. The original file is already an uncompressed AVI, but the complication of the MOV container seems to lead to the audio de-synch.

This workflow makes some sense to me from experience dealing with other, oddball containers wherein you must convert to a more standard container before continuing the process. The conversion to uncompressed, standard AVI should not affect quality. It should give you something that standard tools can work with.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oghss
    It seems size could be a problem as it is not so common to work with such sizes but I mean how do the commercial companies or film producers deal with such files, I mean there has to be an application or at least a way to follow. Thanks for your useful inputs, hopefully I ll work this out.
    commercial companies use raid 0 setups with really fast hdd's (the bit rates of files like yours demand it), loads of ram, ram disks, most likely multi-cpu setups and in all honesty from everything i have read it seems that dedicated commercial grade hardware encoding cards.

i'm just curious, how did you end up with such a file?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ll try the uncompressed avi solution to render, will write the outcome.

@deadrats: its a movie, shot by an hd camera.

I also got the outcome of the Media Info application gave, any points ring a bell for what the problem could be?

General
    Complete name : H:\sss.mov
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 860 GiB
    Duration : 1h 51mn
    Overall bit rate : 1 108 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-11 22:17:44
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-12-12 04:59:38
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime
    Media/UUID : DC2FE888-9D34-49BA-9D19-25CFF65F4FD7

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : v210
    Codec ID : v210
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 2 809 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.054
    Stream size : 2.18 GiB (0%)
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : in24
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 2 304 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Stream size : 1.79 GiB (0%)
    Language : English

Menu
    ID : 3
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-12 04:59:38
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the video is 2,809 kpbs and the audio is 2,304 kbps, how is the combined at 1,108 Mbps? Something doesn't add up.

Can you demux the streams, then recombine them into a more reasonable file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    appears to be a mac format. apple pro res hd 10bit.

got a friend with a high end mac editing system?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plus the combined bit rate of 2,809kbs and 2,304kbs add up to 5113kbs.

If 1hr and 51mins = 111mins that = 6660secs

then

5113kbs / 8 = 639,125 (to make it bytes)

then

639,125 x 6660secs = 4.2GB

Why is the file 860GB (or 980GB) and not 4.2GB

A file size of 860GB and 1hr 51mins long should have a bit rate of 1Gbs not 5.1Mbs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Anyone else curious as to how this ended up?
    Quote Quote