VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi people.

I have a CD with several filming files (from a still camera I guess) in MPEG1 at 2400/2500 bitrate.
    I insert this CD, as it is, into my DVD player (Oppo 983H) and after a while it finally recognized the files and played them.
    But I want to do a proper VCD/XVCD with these files, and without re-encoding.
    Do you know which tool I must use for that?.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First you would have to confirm, probably with g-spot or mediainfo, just what the video really is. It is already outside spec for VCD just on the bitrate. If it is outside on resolution as well, you may as well re-think VCD (or XVCD) as an option.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try VCDEasy(trial and old free version available).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been a while, but I remember de-muxing some MPEG1 files w/ TMPGEnc "free", putting them thru DVDStyler and making a DVD out of them. DVDStyler, a front-end for DVDAuthor will not "re-encode" them.
    Maybe you'll get lucky and will be able to input the MPEG1 files "as-is", and not need to demux them first. Good luck.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD limits the bit rate of MPEG-1 video to not more than 1856 Kbps. If the clips really are at 2400-2500 Kbps, they would be out of spec for DVD. The audio won't be valid for DVD as it will be 44.1 KHz and you'll have no choice but to upsample it to 48 KHZ should you decide to try to make a DVD out of this. No audio conversion is necessary for VCD/XVCD.

Assuming the bit rates are correct, you'd have to make XVCD. While XVCD should play fine on a PC, some DVD players may not play these correctly.

I second Baldrick's suggestion to the use the free VCDEasy. It will complain that your VCD is out of spec, but you can tell it to make it anyway. You'll need something that can burn BIN/CUE images to burn the CD. I think VCDEasy may come with the free CDR-DAO burning program, but my limited experience with CDR-DAO is that it doesn't work for a lot of people, including me. I have an old copy of Nero and one of the few things I use it for is burning BIN/CUE images from time to time. The free ImgBurn might be able to burn BIN/CUE images, but I've never tried.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used burnatonce to burn VCD's with no problems.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, to summarize:

1) Without re-encoding, you can only make an XVCD. By definition, it will be non-standard, and will therefore be at risk of being nonplayable in some players. But if that's okay, then:

2) Use VCDEasy to make XVCD (bin/cue) files from the mpeg1 source.

3) Use burnatonce to burn the bin/cue to a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok. Guys.
    I will try today and then will tell you.
    Thank to all of you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    burnatonce is a GUI for cdrdao. My cautions about cdrado still apply. cdrdao may or may not work for you. If it works, great. If not, there's no fix for it. You have to use another burning program. cdrdao may not have been updated in years, so that's why if it doesn't work there's nothing you can do about it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting, jman98. I own many laptops and desktops, running Win98SE to XP. Of maybe a dozen such machines, only one doesn't play nice with burnatonce. I always figured it was the PC itself (I saved it from the trash; it had many problems), but after your post, I see that perhaps it's actually the age of the cdrdao engine, and I've simply been lucky all these years. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I didn't try any yet.
    I read all of your comments. Also searched for other VCD/XVCD tools, and everyone are long outdated.
    My concern is (pls, do not laugh) that my system is running on Vista 64 bits (it comes installed in my notebook) and I've already learned that Vista is case sensitive.
    Anyone of you is running Vista 64 bits and have a XVCD tool to recommend?
    Thank you.-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Extra bitrate doesn't really help 352x240 beyond 2000kbps anyway, just wasting space after that.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry for my poor exp'lanation.
    I'm not trying to do an astonishing VCD.
    I just received the files in these conditions.
    I only do not want to re-encode anything.
    Files are totally auto of VCD standars. They have a 2000/2400 bit rate. Also are not 352x240. they are something like 704 x 480. But Also They are -for sure- MPEG 1.
    Just need a tool to made an XVCD, or something that made it playable wiht menu, without re-encoding anything.
    If I want to do things easy, I make a DVD out if it and end of the story. That's not the point.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We told you to use VCDEasy to make the XVCD. It's not our problem that you are using Vista 64, which you didn't tell us to begin with. If some of these programs don't work with Vista 64, well, it sucks to be you.

Your demands are quite high. You want to make an XVCD with a high bit rate, a non-standard resolution AND a menu - and you want it to work on a DVD player. Good luck with all of that.

By the way, "Files are totally auto of VCD standars" makes no sense in English. I understand that that last word should be "standards" but I have no idea what you are trying to say with this sentence.
    Quote Quote  
  15. does the cd you have contain lots of tiny .mpeg files in one of the folders? is it more like a slideshow of pictures? if so it could be a still picture vcd and is already compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jman98
    We told you to use VCDEasy to make the XVCD. It's not our problem that you are using Vista 64, which you didn't tell us to begin with. If some of these programs don't work with Vista 64, well, it sucks to be you.

Your demands are quite high. You want to make an XVCD with a high bit rate, a non-standard resolution AND a menu - and you want it to work on a DVD player. Good luck with all of that.

By the way, "Files are totally auto of VCD standars" makes no sense in English. I understand that that last word should be "standards" but I have no idea what you are trying to say with this sentence.
    Hey, you don't need to be rude. I only tried to point out what is this problem about.
    Also I do not demand anything. I just asked all of you, who usually have more knowledge than me, to not re-encode some out-of-standards VCD files to make an XVCD or something similar. Just that. If you not have a solution, it is ok, but you do not need to beat me down.

Also... YES, English is NOT my native language and I am trying to do my BEST. And everybody in his own language makes mistakes when typing. Or not?

It's true that I did not write down first that I have Vista 64, but I do not think that it would be important, but then I realize that every software some of you have recommended have years without any upgrade. Also, I think it 's not my fault to have Vista 64, isn't it?. Or should I pay for the sins of Gates' developers?. It comes pre-installed, Best Buy store had not one laptop with XP pre-installed when I went to buy one, and sincerely, despite Vista is not of my personal taste, I do not want to make any mess playing with the operating systems. By the way, eventhou Microsoft is preparing a new operating system, is already known that is based on the Vista core (every report I read said they changed something here, something there, but Vista core remains).

To sum up, and pls. do not take it personal, if you do not have an advice for me to do this "very special out of standards" VCD, just do not reply. Thank you. And forgive my "bad" english typing again.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    does the cd you have contain lots of tiny .mpeg files in one of the folders? is it more like a slideshow of pictures? if so it could be a still picture vcd and is already compliant.
    Hi:

The files were thrown into a DVD disc, with any special treatment. Just pieces of a concert that lead me to think they were recorded with a digital still camera, because of the wierd specifications: MPEG1 - 604 x 480 - 2000/2400 bitrate.
    I don't even know what brand of still camera could record MPEG1 files with these specifications.
    Also I could not imagine that anybody want to make that kind of files on purpose.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whenloverageswild
    It's true that I did not write down first that I have Vista 64, but I do not think that it would be important, but then I realize that every software some of you have recommended have years without any upgrade.
    That's because VCDs are now a "legacy" format. Hardly anyone uses, let alone develops VCD software any more. So if you want to make one, you will find you are using mostly old software. And that may not work well or at all on newer Windows.

Personally, I'd forget about making a standard VCD, since your source is NOT VCD compliant anyway, you will have to convert it one way or another to make a VCD, so you might as well make a DVD (you may be able to use your source video, and only make a simple audio conversion to make a legal DVD).
    Or even simpler, if your DVD player supports DivX, use that format, which is much more flexible, and there are lots of nice new free tools to help you.

I don't see anywhere a concise list of the actual file format you now have. Instead of leaking out one detail at a time, run an analysis tool, like GSpot, on it and upload a screenshot JPEG. Then you might get somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    you might as well make a DVD (you may be able to use your source video, and only make a simple audio conversion to make a legal DVD).
    Hi.

Are you telling me I can do a DVD out of these files without re-encode the source video and only re-encoding audio?. If I understand right, it will solve all the trouble.
    Which tool I must use to do that?.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have authored several XVCDs with VCDImager Tools GUI by vitualis,
    and my old LG happily accepts them. However Windows seems not to like
    XVCDs (it will report incorrect sizes for the directory listing of the .DAT files).

( https://forum.videohelp.com/topic351728.html#1936507 )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    you might as well make a DVD (you may be able to use your source video, and only make a simple audio conversion to make a legal DVD).
    Hi.

Are you telling me I can do a DVD out of these files without re-encode the source video and only re-encoding audio?. If I understand right, it will solve all the trouble.
    Thank you.
    As I said, we need to see exactly what format the files you have are in to make any sensible advice.

See https://www.videohelp.com/dvd for the specs required for DVD.

It is certainly possible to use MPEG1 video and convert the sound to make a compliant DVD. I've done it many times.
    However, officially you're supposed to have the video at "352 x 240 pixels MPEG1". But if it's MPEG2 there are more options.
    If your frame size is 704x480 MPEG1, it may not be legal, but I'd give it a try.
    One simple tool for converting VCD to DVD (which simply separates the audio and video, then resamples the audio) is SVCD2DVDMPG, a free version is available.
    Also you can use TMPGEnc, as that operates on MPEG1 in free ode.

Then you use an authoring app, like GuiForDVDAuthor to put the files together, and finally ImgBurn to burn the files to disc.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.
    Not exactly. What he's saying is that, if you are going to re-encode anyway, you might as well re-encode to DVD specifications (or possibly some DivX/XviD avi thing). You could try AlanHK's suggestion of just re-encoding the audio (it won't take long to find out whether you succeed, but note that not all players will accept the result). With DVD as a target format you are much more likely to find tools that have been updated recently enough to work with Vista. As others have endeavored to point out here, staying with XVCD limits your software options considerably. Since you have a Vista-equipped machine, and XVCD is basically an abandoned legacy "format" (if one can call it that), there's likely very little (perhaps no) software that will satisfy your requirement of not having to re-encode. Therefore, if we accept that you will have to re-encode, then you might as well make it a DVD.
    Quote Quote