VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys ,
    First of all if this is not a proper section for this kind of thread then please do move it .

Coming to the point . I have Sony DAV-TZ215 HT System . It has SPDIF input ( HDMI in is not available) . It is a DVD Home theater system and plays DVD USB and other Audio input through 3.5MM to SPDIF Jack . Since it is a DVD HT System the major disadvantage is that it doesn't supports H264/x264/AVC codec so If I want to watch a BRrip movie 720/1080p , I need to manually encode the whole movie to Xvid/MP4 Format in order to play ( Not including Audio , I use to copy the stream ) . Since this process spoils the quality and is time consuming , the HD movie becomes a SD Movie with lack of clarity and little pix elation occurs . HT plays MP4 Format but with MPEG-4 Codec (as I already told AVC is not supported) . And yes I am only taking the playback via USB .

So I have few questions just take time to read them

No.1 : Can I use any other kind of UNIT ( to be more precise, a player with USB input capable of playing HD AVC codec) with the speaker set . The speakers and sub woofer is discrete and the connection is simply a 2 pair copper cable without any Plugs/Jacks ( I can post image if needed ) . If yes , then suggest me some affordable UNIT or *player* which should be compatible with the speakers having built in Amplifier and Dolby Digital / DTS Support .

No. 2 : Is their any other way to play the AVC Video in the same UNIT via USB without actual encoding ( I know it's too dumb question ) .

Apart from this I have tried these :

I used A Laptop for playback ( HDMI -> Video ; SPDIF - > HT System ) , The movie was playing through laptop and the sound was driven to HT System . BUT ! The actual *5.1* Surround was turned into Stereo with NO CENTER CHANNEL and LFE ( Bass was there but not as deep as in case of 5.1 Stream ) . After this I tried modifying setting through Sound in Control panel and changing the device to 5.1 ... NO LUCK . Also tried changing the Audio mode in HT System but the Audio was still 2. 0 .

Also tried to play the movie on TV and taking Audio via SPDIF in HT , NO LUCK ( Audio was still 2.0 )

So please help me with it . If I need to buy Another unit ( ONLY UNIT , NOT TAKING SPEAKERS INTO CONSIDERATION ) then please suggest some affordable unit which can play AVC (mkv/mp4) Streams .

P.S. : Don't ask me to buy a new Blue Ray Home Theater system !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that you bought a HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box) or All-In-One system.

Simply purchase a standalone AVR (Audio Video Receiver). All of your playback devices (ie: DVD player, Blu-Ray, xBox, laptop, etc.) connect to the AVR. The AVR drives the speakers and the video is output to the TV using HDMI. This will eliminate your video quality and audio quality issues. The only limitations will be with the devices used for playback.

There are numerous options, from various brands, in most any price range. Such as this one: http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-RC430&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    The problem is that you bought a HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box) or All-In-One system.

Simply purchase a standalone AVR (Audio Video Receiver). All of your playback devices (ie: DVD player, Blu-Ray, xBox, laptop, etc.) connect to the AVR. The AVR drives the speakers and the video is output to the TV using HDMI. This will eliminate your video quality and audio quality issues. The only limitations will be with the devices used for playback.

There are numerous options, from various brands, in most any price range. Such as this one: http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-RC430&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
    Thanks for the response ! That is what I was looking for The back panel shows that it is compatible with my speaker set .
    BUT I have few queries related to this :

1. Does it support H264/AVC Playback via USB ?
    2. Since I am from India it is not possible for me to get this from US . So kindly suggest some AVR which is available in India .
    3. Any similar AVR to this ? Better / Cheaper ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I am having an issue with a similar HT system. Model is Sony DZ120k. Here, there is no SPDIF nor USB input, only stereo input through either RCA or 3,5mm connectors.

Thing is I have a movie in my laptop or desktop pc, and an HDTV. Want to play it with 5.1 surround sound, but there is no available input.

The only thing i thought of, is opening the system and try to identify the final stage, just before the output signal is amplified to be driven to all the 6 speakers. Found a manual of all the block and wiring diagrams of the boards inside, but it seems (if I didn't misunderstood) is a PWM signal.

The idea was to put desktop pc in 5.1 output mode, and take each signal there, to be amplified by the system. but not sure if that output mode is PWM or not.

So question is if I can do that, or what else can I do.

Some information on the hardware:
    1 amplifier per channel, total: 6
    name: CXD9883M
    service manual: http://www.manualslib.com/download/865002/Sony-Hcd-Dz110.html
    block diagram: page 28: IC100, IC1500, IC2000, IC2500, IC3000, IC4000
    Quote Quote