VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    For those who are still burning to blank Blu-ray discs, this is another bit of bad news. One of the better manufacturers has stopped production of BD recordable discs, with virtually no fanfare.

http://www.hughsnews.ca/falcon-technologies-exits-recordable-blu-ray-disc-business-005...661#more-52661

That leaves the true Verbatim discs, the CMC discs sold under the Verbatim brand and the hard to find Panasonic discs as the best blank Blu-ray available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    M-disc is still available too.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    M-Disc is a technology used for recordable optical media, not a brand. Verbatim and Ritek both make M-Disc BD-R media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    M-Disc is a technology used for recordable optical media, not a brand.
    I'm aware of that. I just inferred that OP is lamenting production of conventional dye-based BD-R just lost one of its manufacturers (FTI), so he should be assuaged that FWIW, M-disc, which may well be superior to any wretched dye-based optical disc technology from any manufacturer, is here to stay for some more time.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Not everyone is convinced of the outstanding durability claims for the Blu-ray version of M discs, at least, not in comparison to regular HTL BD-R. See here . Their recording layer may not be substantially different from the regular inorganic recording layer of HTL Blu-ray. The DVD M discs seem to be quite different.

Besides, they are not a universal replacement. Neither of my Blu-ray burners can burn M discs. And they were much more expensive the last time I looked at them.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 2nd Jul 2016 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    M-Disc is a technology used for recordable optical media, not a brand.
    I'm aware of that. I just inferred that OP is lamenting production of conventional dye-based BD-R just lost one of its manufacturers (FTI), so he should be assuaged that FWIW, M-disc, which may well be superior to any wretched dye-based optical disc technology from any manufacturer, is here to stay for some more time.
    The recording layer for FTI's BD-R media and the other conventional/"HTL" BD-R media that most here use isn't dye based. It is an inorganic phase change metal alloy.

Only LTH BD-R media is dye based, and nobody here recommends it except for temporary use, like for a video that will be watched just once, or for safety copies handed out to careless children who ruin every disc they are given in a short amount of time.

The other question is, would a company like Ritek make good BD-R M-Disc media since much of their DVD media has been unreliable? There is more to making good optical media than using a stable compound for the recording layer.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Jul 2016 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote