VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am continuing to use the Honestech hardware to convert VHS files to DVD, concentrating on black and whites from my collection on which it does a much better job. I decided to edit commercials out of a broadcast, looked for a freewar editor, and found Free Video Dub, which looked like just what the doctor ordered. It seemed to work just fine but when I loaded the resulting edited mpg file into DVD styler, the burn failed. (There were a jillion error messages during the encoding process, but the burn started.) I am now doing the burn, it would seem successfully, on Windows DVD maker, (even using the same blank DVD) but that means an unfortunate loss of quality which I can ill afford. Can anyone suggest a more compatible mpg editor for DVD Styler? Thanks.
    Last edited by KaiserD2; 17th Apr 2011 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpeg-vcr,videoredo or the free mpg2cut2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The free suggestion was not satisfactory. The preview screen does not track the video when you play--you hear the audio but the video is frozen. I'm trying video pad now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try MpegStreamClip (free). Allows you to trim or cut pieces from a mpeg2 video. Stream copies the edited video without reencoding so the quality of the original is retained.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Try MpegStreamClip (free). Allows you to trim or cut pieces from a mpeg2 video. Stream copies the edited video without reencoding so the quality of the original is retained.
    Will it do mpg as well? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You recording should be Mpeg2(DVD). If it is not then your dvds will be very poor quality
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You recording should be Mpeg2(DVD). If it is not then your dvds will be very poor quality
    I need more education on these distinctions.

I will have to look into this at home. The files have the designation .mpg . But the specs say the hardware/software will produce " MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VCD, SVCD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, WMV." I'll have to see if I can find the precise setting I've been using.

It does very well in black and white but color is not very sharp, particularly off of old tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have any doubt as to these distinctions then check the "What is" to the left of the page you are reading this.

The 'mpg' container can be mpeg-1,mpeg-2, VCD or SVCD. But I expect that the software you are using is dumbing down the choice so that you do not need to have the knowledge and the 'DVD' selection will create the mpg file at a sufficient quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have downloaded this. It also asked me to download version 1.81 of Quicktime lite, which I did. But when I opened a captured mpg file, I got no audio, and the video didn't actually play--you could play it a few seconds and stop it, and it jumped to wherever it was, but this wasn't very satisfactory. There is some indication that I need something called the "extra quick time plugins," can you tell me where to get them, or anything else? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want simplicity in cutting mpg then spend $19 and get mpeg-vcr. Basic in-out frame accurate cuts. It's dead simple and just works. If you are going to be doing a lot of this then it will be worth it. I'm all for using freeware. But sometimes commercial software works better/simpler in some situations.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717 View Post
    If you want simplicity in cutting mpg then spend $19 and get mpeg-vcr. Basic in-out frame accurate cuts. It's dead simple and just works. If you are going to be doing a lot of this then it will be worth it. I'm all for using freeware. But sometimes commercial software works better/simpler in some situations.
    I may have to do that, but I want to quote from this site:

"You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; play them at full screen; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Toast 6 or 7, and use them with many other applications or devices. Requires Quicktime MPEG2 Decoder or Quicktime Alternative 1.81 installed for MPEG2/DVD decoding."

With my 64-bit relatively new desktop it is NOT playing the file. So something is wrong somewhere and I'm curious as to what it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm unsure where the problem lies with mpegstreamclip. You might try downgrading to an older version and see if one of those works

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip/old-versions#download
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717 View Post
    I'm unsure where the problem lies with mpegstreamclip. You might try downgrading to an older version and see if one of those works

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip/old-versions#download
    Well, I have two questions now.

First of all, the documentation says the streamclip will play MPG-2 if you install "all the quicktime plug-ins" with quicktime alternative 1.81. Now there was a box in the installation process which asked you which components to install, and all were checked. But I saw nothing about plug-ins.

Secondly, streamclip does not show up on my control panel as an installed program, so I'm not sure how to replace it with the earlier version.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try VideoRedo Plus - an excellent mpg editor with great support and able to sync videos.
    Quote Quote